Pics of the family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Alll right, everyone else has shown theirs, now it's time for my little collection. I figure most of you guys can guess what they are, so no use for a description.

BTW: You'll notice I'm not trying to match the artistic quality of Lambert's photos. Put any of these saws on your bed and it's time to change the mattress.

I also have an XL-98 demo saw that I hadn't repaired by photo time, and a squashed C-7. A Pioneer 1072 should arrive this week.

Last edited:
Here are a couple photos of a fearsome device. It's called a ring saw, and strangely enough, made by a company called Ring Saws Inc. I believe it's based on a McCulloch engine from the late '60s--anyone care to elaborate?

This was used either for dismembering victims of the rack, or for cutting through tarpaper roofs by firemen. Which one is correct is up to you to decide. This saw also holds the unusual position of being something of a design that HomeDelight Man had never seen before.

Very nice collection John!!:D Hows the C-7 doing? I've been seeing C series saws on Ebay lately. That is if you can get one cheap enough to be worth a parts saw. Oh if you need any help with the 1072 I have the complete repair manual exploded views, torque specs etc.

The ring saw is very neat I've never seen one either.

I've only found one person on the Web who knew what it was. He was a fireman years ago and gave me the story on these things. They were supposed to not gum up when cutting shingles and provide a deeper cut than a demo saw. Apparently, the design was unreliable, unergonomic, and very dangerous. Most FDs dropped them by the mid '70s.

It looks like it's based on a Mac engine. Has a TS carb pointing up and the fuel tank vent inside the air cleaner housing. I wish I could find the specs on the powerhead, because it seems to be about the size of my SXL-925. The blade is driven by a tapered cylinder of brake pad material on the clutch drum. Pretty crazy if you see it in person.

You'll notice that Partner currently makes a hydraulic concrete saw that uses similar blades. Different powerhead design, and I'm sure much safer.

Pioneer, I wanted to go the eBay route, but a C-7 "project saw" just went for over $40. A little rich for something that I'm not going to use. I haven't paid more than $10 for a chainsaw yet. :) I'll let you know about the 1072.

Thanks

Howdy John in MA,

Yep, I had one of those ring saws when I was employed in the Eng. Test Lab. at Oregon Saw Chain, about 1973 or 4. It had a wood cutting ring on it however. The one in you pic. seems to be an abrasive blade for masonary.

The thing scared the hell out me, but it would cut.

The was a very early version of this in the late 1940's in Sweden known as the "Sally Saw". It had the ring on the end of an arm, and you stood up to operate it, very much like a string trimmer today. There was a US patent on it.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Is the big saw on the end the 925? I have never seen one of those. How do you like the little Poulan model XX? Is the Stihl an 056?

I know what you mean John. I don't like to pay anymore than $20 for a saw that I'm not going to take to the wood pile frequently. The real old ones are just too heavy. Ebays about the only place I can find them at though. Seems that they all got thrown away long ago around here :(

Walt, I don't think you can use an abrasive blade on these things due to the rollers. Mine has a 14" steel blade with carbide inserts. It's on the rusty side--I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet. I've seen a Sally Saw. The local Stihl dealer has one hanging from the rafters. Two cylinder and made by a famliar modern company.

Huskyman, I thought you had a SXL-925? Very pretty saw for such a big one. Not as powerful as a 2100, but not nearly as ugly. Those trace their roots back to the C series. I hate the Poulan XX. The recoil spring has popped off several times--you can see the cord wrapped under the handle in the photo. The carb needs a kit, the manual oiler stopped working, the oil tank/cap surface was machined unevenly, and they designed it so you know when to stop filling oil by the fact it's overflowing all over the place. Something about the internal geometry of the tank. Too bad, because it has no wear to the running parts. The Stihl is an 032AVE. That's what I do most of my cutting with. 3.1 cubes on a 20" is all you need around here. I got it and the 925 for $10 each at a yard sale. :D

Pioneer, the weight isn't an issue for me with the big saws. I don't use them very much. The trouble is, you can't get bars for the C series these days. Mine came with a 21". No use for me putting cash into a bigger saw with a smaller bar than the 925.

Now, if I could just find a cheap 8800...

Last edited:
Hey that shot about the 2100 was below the belt!! :D Plenty of bars for the C-series are available from Homelite the shop I go to has 19", 23", 27", 32", 37", and a 50". What's the problem, I got bars covered. They also have a Brand new SXL and A new SXL-925!! Awesome!!, I love shopping at that place.

$10 on the SXL-925 is awesome. My Poulan 25DA had the auto oiler quit working also, but other than that it is a good little saw, but I like my XL2's. The Poulan is just a novelty item. Hey Homedelight man, do you think that place in MO can hook me up with a piston and rings for a Super EZ?

I don't think your ring saw is mac powered,but rather an old pioneer,possibly remington, or even the older XL series. Are there any numbers or letters stamped in the frame or base of the cylinder ?? :rolleyes:

Hi Huskyman, Parts for the EZ are becoming rare because the were and still are popular, for Homelites anyway. If they can't help they will give you names of some others that may have what you need. Jonathan

i think i paid 70 or 80 for my sxl-925 but that thing is rebuilt and runs like an animal. but i do say that ring saw looks like it would cause more accidents on a fire scene than it was worth.

Originally posted by Rick Stafford
I don't think your ring saw is mac powered,but rather an old pioneer,possibly remington, or even the older XL series. Are there any numbers or letters stamped in the frame or base of the cylinder ?? :rolleyes:

Doesnt look like any Pioneer I've seen, side case is wrong. I know I've seen a Mac too that looked like the side of that ring saw.

RING SAW ??

I know it "RESEMBLES" a mac but mac never had a starter like that nor a fuel tank or any saw back then that had a toggle switch for a stop start .If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.Looking at it again a "LOMBARD" comes to thought.?? What do you think ????? :blob2:

All right, I'll have to get back to you about the numbers. This thing looks a little like half a dozen saw brands I've seen. The side cover/recoil is very close to that of a Homelite SXL or XL-12, but it's not from either of those saws. Homelite put their switches on the back and they had much more metal where the rope goes in. You could be right about Lombard, due to the XL ripoffs they made. I also seem to remember some big Sears saws looking like this.

I'm almost sure the gas tank and air filter cover, in addition to the read handle, were made by Ring Saws. The geometry on the clutch side of the saw is specific to the ring mounting.

Things off the top of my head I can remember:

Carb points with the barrel up, gas tank vent is inside the carb/air cleaner housing, and cylinder and fins are round if viewed from the end.

Latest posts

Back