pics of walnutoak&cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty12

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had a weekend to myself so I went crazy and milled all day Sat and Sunday. These trees were killed three years ago when I built a lake on my farm. The water is still relatively low due to drought last summer, so I took advantage of the thick Ice and milled them right on the lake.

Milling is hard work. I really don't know how to work with wood very much. So I dont know why I enjoy it so much!!

Hopefully this will be worth it.

smitty

Good pics, nice crotch figure in a few of those. Do yourself a favor and trim the bark and sapwood off of them before you sticker them to dry. As soon as it gets warm the eggs laid in there will hatch and start munching on your wood. I know it's a pain in the a$$ to do if you mill through and through as you did, but you will be glad you did a year from now. Hate to see you go to all that work and then have the critters eat it all up.

thanks for posting the pics :cheers:

Those are nice pictures and love the way you can take that saw wherever you need it. One thing I didn’t know about having a band saw is you have to have so much equipment buildings, storage, kilns, tractors, and etcetera. I think you can also go places were we couldn’t go. smitty12 how long did it take you to cut 5 slabs? Again nice job and love the pictures.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing when I was cutting these. I'm glad I didnt buy a bandmill because working alone I would not save anytime after I moved all those trees around. Plus I wouldnt be able to get to them with the tractor anyway this time of year in the mud. Milling where the log lays is the way to go for me.

Thanks for the advice on the sapwood. I have an edger. I just haven't gotten around to drilling my bar for it yet.

How long

forgot to answer your question. It took me about 2 -3 hours to cut those oak slabs counting bringing all the equipment down there etc.. There are a few other nice oaks and walnut sticking out of the ice. I hope I can get back out there before it melts but it's not looking good. Calling for 60 degrees by the end of the week.

On the one inch lumber is it better to use a table saw to edge or the chainsaw with edger attachement?

Thanks smitty

Your CSM would come in handy here where we have maybe 50 trees that we can’t get to with a tractor. Keep the pictures coming

You may be right and may do it after we get done with the oter trees. :D

Edging

Cheapest way to edge these pieces is to put a straight edge on the board with a couple of clamps, and edge with a handheld circular saw.:blob2:

Thanks for the pics Smitty. I really enjoyed them. Ill have to second the convenience of a CSM. I love using mine every chance that I get to do so. Looks like a good time to try your hand at some woodworking. Good luck.

Cheapest way to edge these pieces is to put a straight edge on the board with a couple of clamps, and edge with a handheld circular saw.:blob2:

Yep, that's how I do it. I have an edge guide that I clamp on which is nothing more than a 1x6 with some tempered hardboard screwed to it that I have cut the hardboard off at saw width. I lay the guide down where it looks best, make the first cut, then either measure to fit the other side on wider boards, or just run it through the tablesaw on thinner boards. I do as much as possible with the Skilsaw since it is safer and faster due to less handling.

Mark

I try and square up cants with the csm before milling into boards with the csm or Ripsaw, so there is no sapwood and bark to mess with later. However on small stuff less than 12-14 inches you do waste a bunch of good wood doing that, so I too just mill through and through on those and edge later. I also use a handheld circular saw, but no strait edge, just follow the edge freehand. Thus my edged boards don't always have an exact strait edge on them, but that doesn't matter to me as I square them up S4S in the shop with a jointer and planer after they are dry and I'm ready to use them. Sometimes I snap a chalk line on the board for the circular saw to follow, but most times it's easier just to freehand. I clamp the inside edge of the board to the horses and rip one side, flip over and do the other. Lot of extra work and mess to clean up doing that though, and I almost always wish I had just squared the log up when milling, being as careful as I can to not slab off to much good heartwood in the process. In the end you spend more time trimming than you would have squaring them up before milling into boards.

Thanks for the info woodshop. I am going to edge all those boards next week. This is my first real milling job so Im learning everything. Now Im all worried about the drying process. I see that I'm going to have to replace all of my stickers as I just cut up the green wood for that use. Apparantly that a nono...need to use dry stickers. I also didnt get to seal the ends so I need to do that too...maybe Lowes isnt charging too much for hardwood!!

Back