pics of walnutoak&cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smitty12,

CSMilling is a lot of work. However, Lowes DOES charge too much for hardwood, and they usually only carry red oak, poplar and maybe maple - all of which are available in dimensional sizes only, i.e. 5-1/2 w x 3/4" thick. That's one advantage of rough sawn lumber - you can get it in any size you need - but you have to have a jointer and planer to use it.

Like Woodshop, I mill my logs into cants first. That way all of the boards coming off are edged and consistent width. This leaves the bark in the woods and makes stacking easier. Woodshop pointed out that this wastes wood on smaller logs. With a Logosol M7 or Woodworkers Mill, the outer slabs can be put back on the mill for edging, and a board can be milled from it. I did this just yesterday on some soft maple.

For those looking for a chainsaw mill video, check out the Logosol website as well: http://www.logosol.com

Ted

Woodshop pointed out that this wastes wood on smaller logs. With a Logosol M7 or Woodworkers Mill, the outer slabs can be put back on the mill for edging, and a board can be milled from it. I did this just yesterday on some soft maple.
Yes, I do the same of course. If my slab has enough heartwood still left in it, I usually lay it bark down right on top of the cant it came from (just flip it over after the cut) and I make a run down it with the Ripsaw to slice off a board. On large logs like 36inch dia, that slab usually yields 2 or 3 nice boards that way. In that case though, I usually take a chainsaw and freehand trim the sides to width first so my bandsaw blade doesn't have to go through that bark. With my 365 and a sharp chain that goes pretty quick, almost as fast as I can "walk" it down the slab.

As Ted says... the icing on the cake with milling is you get custom milled lumber. Try and get 12/4 oak at a big box, they don't even carry it. Want quartersawn? Unless you are good buddies with a local sawmill, you will have to pay top dollar at a lumber retailer. OR, you can spend a Sat morning in the woods, or somebodies back yard... and mill your own, and burn some calories at the same time.

hmmm

i think if you go to there site an sign up on there mailing list they send you a video an other goodies:clap:

Skillmill

Hi Guys,

I am the new Skillmill Project Administrator at Peterson Global Sales. I have only been in the job for about a month, so I am very new to this game.

I have been browsing through the forum for a few weeks now and have found it very informative. I thought it was time to take the next step and actually get involved rather than spectate from a distance.

Part of my job is to deal with any enquiries we receive regarding the Skillmill, so if any of you guys out there have any questions please send them to me at [email protected] and I will do my best to answer them for you.

And yes, you can also request an info pack to be sent to your home address, which includes a brochure and DVD.

cheers:

Hi Guys,

I am the new Skillmill Project Administrator at Peterson Global Sales.
And yes, you can also request an info pack to be sent to your home address, which includes a brochure and DVD.

cheers:

Welcome to the site, nellump Always glad to see mill rep's participating :cheers:

Site members beware, that Peterson CD will leave subliminal messages dancing around in your head. (Hi-Lo tracks, wpf, doublecutting, gotta-have-one, etc...) Gotta watch it handle really big logs to get an appreciation :rock:

Welcome to the site, nellump Always glad to see mill rep's participating :cheers:

Site members beware, that Peterson CD will leave subliminal messages dancing around in your head. (Hi-Lo tracks, wpf, doublecutting, gotta-have-one, etc...) Gotta watch it handle really big logs to get an appreciation :rock:

Thanks flht01,

Yeah, the Cd is great, must be watched by all, get in quick to order one. :popcorn:

Back