Picture resizing tutorial

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Here's a pictorial showing what you need to do to get your pictures down to the size needed to post them here on ArboristSite.

First, you'll need some software to resize your pictures with. There are addons (small programs that work with Windows) that make doing this easy. If you are using Windows XP, go to CLICK HERE, find the Image Resizer link on the right side column, and download and install it. If you are using Windows 7, you'll need a different program, LINK HERE, you will need to know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system, and download the right one. To find out which one you have, open your control panel, then choose System and Security, then System. Under "System Type" it will tell you if it is 32 or 64 bit. NOTE: I've been told this program also works with Windows Vista, but I haven't tried it.

Once the program is installed, follow these easy steps. I took the screenshots with my old computer running Windows XP, but it's pretty similar with Windows 7 on my main computer.

First find the picture you're looking for. If you just leave your mouse in one spot over the picture, a box will show up showing the size of the picture. Nothing over 300KB will upload to ArboristSite, and some other sites are even lower than this.

attachment.php

Now right click on the picture you want to resize:

attachment.php

Once the popup box shows up, select your size and click OK (Note: I used 800x600 on these to keep the text legible, but 640x480 works well most of the time for pictures):

attachment.php

After it is resized, you will see the new smaller picture in the same folder, with the same file name and (small) after it. This is the one you will want to upload:

attachment.php

From there, I'll hand it over to parrisw who has a good tutorial on posting pics that is stickied to the top of the support and announcements forum. The link to the post is CLICK HERE

If you're still having problems, either post them here, or send me a PM, and I'll do my best to help. I LIKE PICS - I WANT TO SEE THEM! Please give as much information as you can about what went wrong or where I lost you.

Hope this helps!

Nice, and very helpful! :clap: :clap:

If you upload to Photobucket or Flickr or similar online photo hosting sites, you can resize any image through the site itself, as well, before posting. I never use the AS attachment feature, but just copy the "IMG" code from Photobucket and paste it into the text of my AS thread.

Last edited:
Nice, and very helpful! :clap: :clap:

If you upload to Photobucket or Flickr or similar online photo hosting sites, you can resize any image through the site itself, as well, before posting. I never use the AS attachment feature, but just copy the "IMG" code from Photobucket and paste it into the text of my AS thread.

Dunno about the others but on Photobucket, if you delete even one picture it will screw up every link you have eveer posted. I have a lot of old threads out there that now have the wrong pictures attached. I learned too late.

I am going to start posting them through AS if I can wrap my old brain around the procedure. Dunno if deleting there will do the same though. That was what was nice about Photobucket - so simple even a caveman...

Harry K

Nice job steve. I use Image Resizer and love it. I also use AS for pics. Once they are on AS's computer they are there for good. Ive looked at some old threads and have just seen red x"s with no pics.:cheers:

Nice job and good info. But here is what I couldnt remember a few weeks ago while posting a new topic with pictures. I couldnt remember how to make the picture appear on the post without just having a "image" code or thumbnail appear. Making readers of the post click on the thumbnail instead of just having a full size picture on the post, the way we like it. I use to know how to do it, but taking the summer off of this site I forgot how. Can someone refresh my memory?

Nice job and good info. But here is what I couldnt remember a few weeks ago while posting a new topic with pictures. I couldnt remember how to make the picture appear on the post without just having a "image" code or thumbnail appear. Making readers of the post click on the thumbnail instead of just having a full size picture on the post, the way we like it. I use to know how to do it, but taking the summer off of this site I forgot how. Can someone refresh my memory?

- click on internet picture you wish to post, from anywhere on internet,with RIGHT mouse button
- drag down to "COPY IMAGE LOCATION"
- come back to thread and click the little " INSERT IMAGE" button at the top of the box you type your text into
- RIGHT click in the box for text and click "PASTE"

DONE

hopefully more people will see this ! lol, doubt it!
every time i look through "wtf pics" there are as many broken links as there are properly posted pic s

Last edited:
Memory refresher:

1. Copy the URL (web address) of the photo/picture/image.
2. Click the Insert Image button in the toolbar above the body of your reply text. A dialogue box will appear.
3. Paste the URL of the image into the dialogue box.

This places IMG tags before and after the URL of your image. As an aside, you could manually type in the IMG tags within the body of your text, but using the Insert Image button saves keyboard strokes.

Here's what the Insert Image button looks like:
attachment.php

Last edited:
But I don't know how to do that. I need more tutorialing! :D

If my image is located on the Web somewhere (say Photobucket.com), just the image appears in my AS post. When I upload images directly to AS servers, the image appears in my posting but the "Attached Images" box also appears at the bottom. Oh well. Minor annoyance.

Latest posts

Back