pictures of case splitters please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl n Wood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up old news im sure. But I need to split a case on a ms361 that was run over by a skidder. The case is snapped where the inner dogs bolt on. Also will be putting new crank seals in and rear tank assembly among many other parts. I have never split a case. Ported many saws, but never got to case separation. My main question is can I make my own? I think I remember seeing people in the past here that posted pictures of there homemade ones. And help and tips welcome. Thanks for your time...

Sorry to bring up old news im sure. But I need to split a case on a ms361 that was run over by a skidder. The case is snapped where the inner dogs bolt on. Also will be putting new crank seals in and rear tank assembly among many other parts. I have never split a case. Ported many saws, but never got to case separation. My main question is can I make my own? I think I remember seeing people in the past here that posted pictures of there homemade ones. And help and tips welcome. Thanks for your time...

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/197316.htm

Some additional good info in the 036 link.

Good luck with it.

I will probably just buy one, but I can weld and fabricate too. So was thinking if were fairly easy and cheaper to build my own? Thanks for the info.

Just undo screws and pins use a heat gun to heat the area around the bearing on either side when the oil starts to smoke

Hold case half and tap on crank end with soft face hammer bearing willl come out of case with very little effort

heat other side and do the same

the paint on case will take the heat with no problems

reverse the steps to put back together remember gasket

Here is a link to the thread I started today. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/226731.htm There is a picture of my case splitter in there. I just took a piece of 3/8''x2'' flat bar and drilled 2 holes to go over the bar studs and drilled 1 hole centered with the crank and used a cheap HF pitman arm puller to push it out from the clutch side. It helps to heat the case around the bearing with torch. Not hot enough to blister the finish though. After you have the crank out of the clutch side heat the case around the bearing on the flywheel side. Screw the flywheel nut on just above flush with the crank and whack it a couple times with preferably a brass hammer or a dead blow. It will pop right out . When taking the case apart dont forget there are 2 dowel pins that will have to be driven out from the clutch side to the flyweel side. You may have to do some cleaning to find them, and if it is like an 034 you will have to remove the dawg from the saw to get to one pin.

Last edited:
IMG_0027-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back