pictures of dead saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First of, nice to see everyone again, been gone for a while.

i had a 365 special with ported big bore, and let some one borrow. they returned it they same day i left town and it was siezed....

anyways, it looks like the bearing went out, but wanted to see what ya'll thought. i can't really figure out why it would've gone out, whether it be my porting or the fact they don't know how to run a chainsaw. or maybe im reading it wrong.

any ideas?

random

random

random

Not uncommon to lose the bottom end on engines if they are run at higher RPM's then designed for, talk to the kids that hod rod honda civics they can tell ya.

tm

I never loan out a ported saw. They just require too much attention to the tune. It could have been common failure, it could have also been a dull chain making the saw scream until it let go.

makes since. i am so used to keeping the chain sharp, i never would've thought they would leave it dull, which it was....yeah, either way I now see it was my fault, either for screwing up the porting, which it ran fine for couple tanks in my hands, or an idiot for leaving it with them, even tho i made sure to leave the carb settings rich as a precaution.

anyways, enjoy the pictures.

is it hard or special tooling needed for spolitting a case?

anyone got a 365 special or 372 for sale without the cylinder?

Losing a big end bearing on that series is not uncommon, but I've worked mostly on 371/372s. The saw is no harder to split than any of the others, and easier than some. Time to upgrade to the bigger top end!!

A couple of us think that lugging the saw might result in overstressing the big end bearing. This series is known for good lugging power but it doesn't make it a good idea.

From the pics it looks like the bottom end wasn't lubricated very well and it got hot, the piston crown may have gotten a little hot as well.. Never lone out your saws ported or not.

If I had to guess they ran the saw lean and with a low oil ratio. Ported saws = 32:1 with good oil IMHO.

Last edited:
I once used some long 8mm set screws and long nuts to split my first case with great success.
I have since made a case splitter though.

Bailey's have A/M cranks or you could source a second hand one.

If the mark above the transfer can be caught by a fingernail that cyl will not be salvageable.

Nevertheless it's still worth putting the effort into resurrecting it.

I never loan out a ported saw. They just require too much attention to the tune. It could have been common failure, it could have also been a dull chain making the saw scream until it let go.

Porting + lean running + dull chain + loan = guarantee for failure if you ask me.

It looks as if it ran very lean and hot.

I've seen marks like that on pistons before caused by detonation. I do realize it's been hitting the chamber but when a motor detonates it will also take out the rod bearing too. Just my .02

Do the internal parts look really "dry" in person? The photos sure make the crank, rod and crankcase look like there was very little oil inside the engine.

The added heat from the bearing failure could also give the appearance of running lean. You ported a used saw. Furthermore, in doing so (not knowing what you did to it) put extra stress on an already worn bottom end. It could have done the same thing if you had ran it. Gamble you take when using worn parts.

Straight gas and/or over revving the saw can cause big end bearing failures, I purchase a few saws with that exact failure, where the owner admitted they used straight gas. Sometimes the piston melts other times the bearing fails. Husky 372's are a relatively easy saw to split cases on.

I've seen marks like that on pistons before caused by detonation. I do realize it's been hitting the chamber but when a motor detonates it will also take out the rod bearing too. Just my .02

Definitely a possibility....what does the plug look like?

When they first came out yes, especially when doing a lot of limb work. If I remember correctly Husky suggested running richer oil mix at the time. This was only an issue early on, and with saws that had lots of hours.

When they first came out yes, especially when doing a lot of limb work. If I remember correctly Husky suggested running richer oil mix at the time. This was only an issue early on, and with saws that had lots of hours.

Andyshine77 said:
You guys don't like it because it doesn't say Stihl on the side, if it did you'd say it's the best thing sense sliced bred. Heil mein für Stihl!!!

hey Andre
Heil mein für Husky!!!!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop:

Back