Pictures Of My Oldtimer Chainsaw Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traktorist2222

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since my picture threads with chainsaw and logging pictures have found many friends here, I will start now another thread to show you my antique chainsaw collection.

If you like it, I will post from time to time pictures of my about 50 collection saws here.

I start with my brand new, never used Stihl 031 AV that I got this week.

Stihl031neu-1.jpg

Stihl031neu-2.jpg

Stihl031neu-3.jpg

Stihl031neu-4.jpg

Stihl031neu-5.jpg

Stihl031neu-6.jpg

Stihl031neu-7.jpg

Since my picture threads with chainsaw and logging pictures have found many friends here, I will start now another thread to show you my antique chainsaw collection.

If you like it, I will post from time to time pictures of my about 50 collection saws here.

Stihl031neu-1.jpg

In the junk (antique) biz we'd call that new old stock. (I buy junk and sell antiques :) )

I gotta ask -

Does the original box add much value for a collector?

A few years ago, I liquidated an antique toy collection. Stuff from the 20s mostly. Had 2 of the same item. One with box, one without.

Sans box, the little dancing Sambo snatched $250 at auction. The one in the box topped off at $900.

In the junk (antique) biz we'd call that new old stock. (I buy junk and sell antiques :) )

I gotta ask -

Does the original box add much value for a collector?

A few years ago, I liquidated an antique toy collection. Stuff from the 20s mostly. Had 2 of the same item. One with box, one without.

Sans box, the little dancing Sambo snatched $250 at auction. The one in the box topped off at $900.

I know it makes a big diference with Lionel trains. I have a 1948 Lionel Electronic (radio controled) set. It's 100% complete including the radio transmitter. The set was apraised at $3500. With boxes it would at least double. The boxes for that one set were a different color than the other boxes and are very rare, Joe.

Stihl031neu-1.jpg

Stihl031neu-2.jpg

Stihl031neu-3.jpg

Stihl031neu-4.jpg

Stihl031neu-5.jpg

Stihl031neu-6.jpg

Stihl031neu-7.jpg

OMG I'm jealous of your regular saw line up and now this, if you tell me you got this for a song I'm gonna cry. Lucky for you there is an ocean between me and your saws;)

This is the 552nd Contra-Lightning Stihl made. It was produced on 29 May 1959, the third production day.

Contra-alt-1.jpg

Contra-alt-2.jpg

Contra-alt-5.jpg

Contra-alt-4.jpg

And here is my Dolmar 166. Actually it has got a new label on sprocket cover.

Martin...Great post...I'm really interested in how you date and identify this contra as the 552nd off the line? I know there are lots of differences in Contras and would like to sort this out a bit so your insight would be valuable to me and some others I know here.

Thanks in advance...

PS Also love your slightly used Contrs. You live in the world of easy to get Contras!

Latest posts

Back