Piltz Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those canon bars allow you to run picco chain. Stihl doesn't make a 25" bar that will run picco.

The whole idea behind this so-called "hot rodding" is just running a 3/8 LP chain on an inordinately large bar. In theory a skinnier chain can be run on a longer bar with no work load increase on the saw.

I believe it's all BS also. It's most likely just a good chain and possible sprocket swap. In a soft green wood and with the right touch... they can make a video look impressive. At best, they might do a muffler mod.

ok ok ...I have a 10 tooth 3/8 Piltz Rocket Sprocket on my MS660, big bore, dual port muff. It is just what the saw needed. I run a 20" bar on it and I know that's a little on the small side for a MS660, but I use this saw primarily to buck saw logs into rounds. We all know how boring that job is, and most of my logs are under 18" anyway. The chain speed is quite amazing and I like these sprockets a lot just for this use. You have to have a custom chain made as my 20" bar now requires 73 links instead on 72. I'm telling you a stock 9 tooth 3/8" chain is nothing for a MS660..a 10 tooth isn't much either.

Modify the bar m you can run the 72 DL. You can buy from Madsens and probably save money over what they charge on eBay.

It's ok I spin my own loops anyway. I get a 100' roll of 36RS every other year or so. I do find that with those sprockets that if the chain is a little loose then the chain tries to come off track and ruin the drive links. I just have to make sure the chain isn't loose. I recommend that people at least try them before they gripe about them. I'm not sure about putting them on anything smaller than a Magnum series saw, and I know I wouldn't want on on my 250's.

I've got a 9 pin but don't use it for production cutting. Those are too expensive to use up when an 8 pin is $4.75

They are $12 cheaper from the place I mentioned. That's where I got mine from.

Ok. Curiosity and the need for a small saw got the best of me and I ordered the 180 from them. I'll report back. I want to see how it compares to my ported shinny 488. The 488 I have will seriously cut for a mid size saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how did the saw run? Should have it by now not?

So how did the saw run? Should have it by now not?

I really like it. It cuts great. I'll try to make a video. I was wrong about the sprocket. It was not replaced with rim. I love the thicker bar. It doesn't bend like a piece of rubber.
Yes I might blow it up in a few years but I can get a new piston off eBay for $12.00 or a compete top end for $32. About the price of a carb on most saws. It's a great saw for my clearing work. ( pop corn trees etc). If the bar will go across it , the little bugger will cut it like butter. I topped oaks with it last week with a lift for an older neighbor and three folks watching wanted one. If you can get a 50 quality bar and full chisel chain from somewhere else cheaper , I'd do it. You will have the same saw. You could always put the original bar and chain back if you need warranty work if you buy it from a dealer. . I know I would not have bought the 50 bar and chain if I hadn't found a package deal. I'm glad I did.

Back