Pin Oak -Red circles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain113

Reaction score
Red circles on the trunk of my pin oaks, any problem, if so any solution?
Pictures of problem included

Attachments

• IMG_6869.JPG
    IMG_6869.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6870.JPG
    IMG_6870.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
The holes are from gaffs (climbing spikes). Note the triangle shape and alternating foot pattern. Skilled climbers only use them on tree removals. They are open wounds that invite disease and bugs. as far as a solution goes, its kind of "an ounce of prevention trumps a pound of cure" scenario.

Some times what you save in pruning, you lose in removing later. Anytime you hire a crew to do any pruning, get very specific details of the work to be done in writing. Pretty much any one worth doing business with will give you that, if they can't or don't, its a bad sign.

on a pruning job, the first thing we recommend is removing dead wood and rubbing branches. Then we reassess and look at weight distribution and wind resistance and correct anything that's most likely going to be problematic. Rarely do we do anything about "shape" unless its a vehicle/structure clearance issue

Anytime you hire a crew to do any pruning, get very specific details of the work to be done in writing. Pretty much any one worth doing business with will give you that, if they can't or don't, its a bad sign.
That may be true in CA but around here a man's word is his bond. I hired a tree removal from my yard, a complex deal because it was between houses and was 30 inches DBH. It also included a severe trim job on another tree that was threatening a neighbor's house. That neighbor became involved because he agreed to pay part of the trimming job for the tree that was just a threat to him. That was just between me and him. It was done with a handshake after we discussed what I wanted done and what he could do and we agreed on the final job content. The job was done to my satisfaction and was paid for exactly as we had agreed.
I have done business here for over 30 years relating to my farms on an equally informal basis. I discuss with a vendor what I want done on my farm and they do it. I pay them when they are done without a scrap of paper between us. Face it, if a man's word is no good what is his signature worth?

I wish it was always like that, but this aint small town farming and you never know what your going to run into. Around here a surety bond is your bond. If something goes horribly wrong on a job, his word doesn't get the power lines fixed or pay for a garage that gets crushed. It isn't about not trusting someone, its about protecting yourself. And in the OP's case, it most likely would have helped. Tree work is dangerous and when something goes wrong, its usually bad. like makes the news bad.

and if his word is no good, his signature is worth a wage garnishment or property lien.

Good advice re written specs. This has nothing to do with personal trust, just making expectations clear.

The best solution to the gaff holes is to trim the shredded tissue to lessen infection and drench trunks with phosphite.

Caveat emptor.

Probably not - assuming he wouldn't have known to say "no spikes", and the hack's contract certainly wouldn't include that clause!

You're missing the bigger picture. With a contract, or service agreement, the amount of dead wood left and the clean up would have been laid out better. Preventing 2 out of 3 of the OP's issues is "better" or would have helped.

Maybe Paper work is dumb. receipts for purchases are dumb, buying a car with a title is dumb

I am not disagreeing with you by any stretch! Just saying paper alone doesn't prevent stupid...you can contract for stupid (ever lease a car?).

I appreciate the answers and advice. Wish I had known of the site before having work done. (caveat emptor, which I ignored at my expense)
The people who did the work did a horrible job for too high a price. You have educated this 76 year old to pay more attention. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back