Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys my father in law has a pin oak in his yard about 10 inches in diameter and 20-25' tall, and it has these balls all over the ends of the branches near the leaves. The leaves are fine and the tree is growing, but it is not the prettiest thing in the world. There is no oozing or bugs or anything that I can see. I have a pin oak in my yard and do not want mine to get the same thing. Any idea what this is?

A guy posted a similar question a few months ago, he even had a picture. It was a type of wasp that lays its eggs in the twigs of trees and the wood swells around them. Not particularly harmful. If you have the time or inclination you might be able to find the old post. :eek:
I think it was treeman14 that knew the name of the wasp.

Ok, I'm gong to cry here. Briefly mom/dad died 4 mos apart. I planted 2 pin oaks for them (now about 8 years old). Mom is doing great, dad is sick. Has the hard noddules as described here on messageboard but they are not thorny. Dad has a bagillion wasps or hornets on the noddules all the time. Mom does not. What am I going to do?
Is it these wasps/hornets or a disease? I've scoured the internet and am at my wits end. My neighbor says I should cut those branches off (yeah like little 5foot me can get up into this mighty oak-boy they grow fast). Is there something I should feed it or should I buy a root feeder & give it something? WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Really now, it's for my dad and I'm so serious.
Wendy

Stay calm Wendy, it'll be alright.
As long as the tree has abondant, green leaves, a solid trunk, and there's no Oak Wilt in the area, your trees will be fine. The damage is only cosmetic, and most likely temporary.
If you can post a picture, we can tell you more.

Believe it or not the ink that is on the Declaration of Independance was made from those balls.

c

Latest posts

Back