pine beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synchronicity

Reaction score
I own and live on 40 acres of pinion/juniper forest. The land is situated at 6700 feet in
Southwest Colorado. We are in the midst of a 100 year drought. I haul water for residential use.
Land is currently old growth, with some historical
firewood and post cutting. (overgrown) Clearing is an ongoing process. (fire danger) Weakened medium size trees are being attacked by the pine
beetle. I am attempting to cut and remove affected trees as rapidly as possible. Is there any other remedy that might be attempted. Also
appreciate recomendations on saw for this application. I am an experienced cutter, and have
thoughts, but what would you pick up for the job?
Most trees in the 8" to 14" inch range, some cedar, and will include limbing and reducing to firewood.

For small trees like that, you really don't need a massive saw to lug around. I'd recommend a Stihl 026 or Husky 346XP depending on your brand loyalty (if any) and the proximity/ quality of your local dealers. There are a couple current threads discussing these two saws in the Chainsaw forum.

No treatment that I've heard of other than eradication of infected trees. Either chip or burn cut trees as soon as possible. Downed trees create a wonderful nesting area for the lil buggers to multiply.

Being an experienced cutter, you will probably want to avoid the lower quality 'homeowner' model chainsaws. For Stihl, pro saws have a white handle and an even number designation. Their mediocre saws have orange handles and odd number designations. For Husky, the models with XP are the pro versions.

Nothing at all wrong with 165's reccommendations. You might also consider a Poulan Pro 330. Retails for under $300 and is a real go getter in the type of cutting you describe. The best prevention for your beetle problem would be a break in the drought. Pray hard.:)

That was the conclusion on the beetles that I had
previously come to. The other thing that I had heard might help would be an extremely cold winter. Thanks for the saw tips, but I was considering the 360 pro or 440 mag stihl. Either with an 18 - 20" blade. After thinking about the weight - will go with the 360 pro and 20".
Thanks again

Back