Pine is for suckas!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the reading I've done it seems the Balm of Gilead is a natural cross between Eastern Cottonwood and the Balsam Poplar. Some other places said that the Balsam Poplar is also referred to as Balm of Gilead. No clue which is correct

Correct And I believe there is a BofG tree in the middle east that is not even related to the aspen family.

We definitely have the balsam poplar. Real nice wood to work with but not many around.

I don't profess to be an expert about tree biology, I just harvest the things and bring it to people as burnable pieces. :)

"Sort of" was supposed to be "sometimes" as in "Cottonwood and aspen are sometimes "hybred" around here. Hybred in quotes as I wasn't sure if that was the correct term or spelling. Crossbred? Corn bread? haha., hell I dunno, I'm just a dumb logger. :oops::laugh:

What is "sort of hybred"?It is or it ain't.Everything else in your post is true.Still, I have used a lot of poplar for firewood but if that's all you have and it's really cold you'll need plenty of it!

Not sure what makes the smell, but I've cut some that smell kind of like leaves, while other's smell like skunk piss or fresh dog ****. It must be pretty strong cause I can smell it and I can't smell very well.

We had some that came from southern AK and it smell liked cinnamin.

I don't profess to be an expert about tree biology, I just harvest the things and bring it to people as burnable pieces. :)

"Sort of" was supposed to be "sometimes" as in "Cottonwood and aspen are sometimes "hybred" around here. Hybred in quotes as I wasn't sure if that was the correct term or spelling. Crossbred? Corn bread? haha., hell I dunno, I'm just a dumb logger. :oops::laugh:

Not sure what makes the smell, but I've cut some that smell kind of like leaves, while other's smell like skunk piss or fresh dog ****.

I Can't recall fresh cut/Green Cottonwood smelling bad, but let that stuff get wet with poor air flow, and ohh yeah, that stuff smells Awfulllll.

Doug

I Can't recall fresh cut/Green Cottonwood smelling bad, but let that stuff get wet with poor air flow, and ohh yeah, that stuff smells Awfulllll.

Doug

I've had a couple trees piss on my legs while hand felling and I about had to toss those pants. May as well just have told people I pissed or **** myself! Have had birch do it as well but it doesn't stink. Some people drink that birch juice, supposed to cure everything from jock itch to a tooth ache (haha)

Ive soaked many a pair of pants cutting a Cottonwood trunk that grew in low ground. it actually bogs the saw down really bad when they are that wet. to me cottonwood isnt a "pleasant" smell but i dont mind it. my coworker absolutely hates it and swears it smells like rotten piss. the Balm of Gilead is a stronger same smelling wood and that can be a little strong for my liking. another downfall of it is everything is sticky on it. the sap isnt as bad as pine pitch but its still tacky. the seeds and leaves will stick to anything

Not sure what makes the smell, but I've cut some that smell kind of like leaves, while other's smell like skunk piss or fresh dog ****. It must be pretty strong cause I can smell it and I can't smell very well.
There is a plantation stand a few miles from me.Sign nearby reads "hybred poplar".I have no idea what the purpose of it would be.Some sort of botanical experiment I would guess.

Hybrid Poplar trees are often sold to provide quick shade or wind break. they only average a 25-30 year lifespan in which they can grow to +36" diameter and over 80ft tall. they are often preferred to a true "seedless" Cottonwood because they tend to have one main trunk that grows tall and straight with most branches not getting very large or having a wide spread canopy. Seedless Cottonwood are very common in more open areas because they sprout large structural branches or multiple stems anywhere from the ground line to around 20' up. tend to be wider canopied with no major main central trunk past the split. they may still grow quite tall but commonly die before reaching much over 60'. Usually they die from the top/center down and out

There must be many variations of hybrids. The seedless cottonwood I have dealt with are shaped just like an aspen except their trunk is larger for any given height of tree. My neighbors trees died at about 15 years old and all were 16-20" diameter.

For the past couple of years I have had an abundance of very nice Oak. Since I live in California it is dry to perfection and I use just wood for total heating. When Oak was scarce Pine was it. For most part the split trunk wood did OK, but for the long below freezing nights nice limb wood will hold its own against Oak any day or night. I would pile the best limb wood just for stoking the nights and it would easily go 10 hours with out any attention. Thanks

There must be many variations of hybrids. The seedless cottonwood I have dealt with are shaped just like an aspen except their trunk is larger for any given height of tree. My neighbors trees died at about 15 years old and all were 16-20" diameter.
Im sure there are many variations indeed. Most of your Hybrid Poplar are supposed to be seedless so there is some confusion there as well. im guessing the difference is in the soil type and water table in your area versus mine

Hybrid Poplar trees are often sold to provide quick shade or wind break. they only average a 25-30 year lifespan in which they can grow to +36" diameter and over 80ft tall. they are often preferred to a true "seedless" Cottonwood because they tend to have one main trunk that grows tall and straight with most branches not getting very large or having a wide spread canopy. Seedless Cottonwood are very common in more open areas because they sprout large structural branches or multiple stems anywhere from the ground line to around 20' up. tend to be wider canopied with no major main central trunk past the split. they may still grow quite tall but commonly die before reaching much over 60'. Usually they die from the top/center down and out
To me, you just described Lombardy Poplar.

Im sure there are many variations indeed. Most of your Hybrid Poplar are supposed to be seedless so there is some confusion there as well. im guessing the difference is in the soil type and water table in your area versus mine
Absolutely.

This was sandy soil close to the water table.

My other neighbor and I both had curly willow trees that died at 10 and 11 years respectively. I cut mine down right away and he let his sit. Mine shot yo suckers like you couldn't believe and was a monster bush when we sold. His shot up one sucker that died.

Latest posts

Back