Pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some questions about pine...I've got an OWB and I burned a good amount of seasoned pine through early December with good results. But are some species of pine/evergreens better than others? I scored a bunch of maple this weekend and I grabbed some pine the homeowner had dropped while I was there. This stuff was HEAVY but I'm sure it will lighten up a bunch as it seasons. Still, it seemed like pretty good stuff for softwood. I didn't snap a picture but some of it had a light, flaky brown/green bark that was kind of patchy looking with a patterning that reminded me of sycamore. No doubt it was pine though...smelled like a trip to the Adirondacks.

Well, the pine firewood debates will roll on forever, I suppose... but I'll say if it's free, burn it.

Some species of conifers or evergreens emit more heat per pound than others. Cedar burns well and emits a good heat.

Just keep an eye on your flue for creosote buildup. ;)

Some questions about pine...I've got an OWB and I burned a good amount of seasoned pine through early December with good results. But are some species of pine/evergreens better than others? I scored a bunch of maple this weekend and I grabbed some pine the homeowner had dropped while I was there. This stuff was HEAVY but I'm sure it will lighten up a bunch as it seasons. Still, it seemed like pretty good stuff for softwood. I didn't snap a picture but some of it had a light, flaky brown/green bark that was kind of patchy looking with a patterning that reminded me of sycamore. No doubt it was pine though...smelled like a trip to the Adirondacks.

That sounds kinda like Yew, but I thought that was more a shrub than a tree.

I split white pine and virginia pine (the two main species of pine I have here) and hemlock, and stack it all together. Cedar I save for kindling, makes for a nice fast start when it's dry.

Doesn't really answer your question though. This might help Sweep's Library - Firewood BTU Comparison Charts

well its all we have

here in south west montana pine and fur is all we have. unless you want to try and find cotton wood or cut elm out of the towns

I know the old wives tale about pine making a lot of creosote, but go north (or west) where pine, spruce and fir are the prevalent firewood and the guys will just smile when you say that. I find it hard to believe that well seasoned pine (split, it seasons pretty fast) will make any more or less creosote than any other well seasoned firewood… or that “green” pine will make any more or less creosote than any other “green” firewood.

Pine burns fast, but most species pump out some serious heat while they burn (White Pine seems to be the exception). You do haf’ta deal with a fair amount of snap, crackle, pop and sparks… but it’s the same with some hardwood. Our family lake home (some 60 miles north of Brainerd, MN) sits amid a mostly pine forest. The Jack Pine is the “weed” tree on the property, and we’ve burned tons of it over the years to stay warm… and we’ve managed to stay warm just fine, thank you, even during the winter ice fishing trips. If we want to extend the burn time a bit, we’ll mix in a little Paper Birch before turning in. Pine makes for a “quick warm-up” on a cool morning, and I could have easily heated my entire home with pine only this last winter (granted, it was an unusually mild winter).

I don’t have pine on my property here in Iowa… but if I did, I’d cut and burn that before I’d cut and burn Box Elder, Silver Maple, Cottonwood, Willow or Basswood. In fact, if I had pine here, I’d probably put-up a cord or two just for the quick, short(er) burn heat it would provide during those frosty October and April mornings… and I wouldn’t worry any more about my chimney than I do now! I just love the smell of pine burning on a crisp fall morning… and that alone is enough reason for me to burn it (if I had it). I do have a planted stand of Douglas Fir on the property, and that also has a pleasing smell. I’ve gone to collecting the larger dead branches for use in the fire pit on those crisp fall days…

I burn a lot of softwood in my OWB and hemlock and spruce are more dense than pine. They will last a little longer but require a longer time to season and are harder to split. White pine, eastern hemlock and white spruce are the species of conifers that I have in my woods so I can't comment on firs. I am sure that I have had stack fires in the past but have never cleaned the stack in 4 plus years of operation.

I burn a lot of softwood in my OWB and hemlock and spruce are more dense than pine. They will last a little longer but require a longer time to season and are harder to split. White pine, eastern hemlock and white spruce are the species of conifers that I have in my woods so I can't comment on firs. I am sure that I have had stack fires in the past but have never cleaned the stack in 4 plus years of operation.

I burn a little pine.....mostly hard wood by far. How was your maple syrup season this year with the weird warmth? A lot of folks had hardly any sap to boil.

Most of my wood is Pine, if you want something that burns hot and hard, then Aspen.

Most of those with OWB's just block it and burn it. I doubt there is much seasoning but then it is very dry here.

A summer will season it and no need for cover.

I burn a little pine.....mostly hard wood by far. How was your maple syrup season this year with the weird warmth? A lot of folks had hardly any sap to boil.

I didn't do too bad with the maple syrup. I made 130 gallons this season which is only 22 gallons less than the bad season of 2010. I tapped in on Feb 7 which was about 2 weeks early. It turned out to be a good decision.

I am having my open house weekend this weekend. Come over and check it out. I am at the dead end of Pleasant St Ext if you come in from the 129 side. I will be boiling water this year so I will have a little extra time to talk and show things off. I am giving samples of vanilla ice cream with syrup on it too.

The pic sure looks like the scotch pine from a mature x-mas tree farm. I have 1100 of those I would like to get rid of. I gave a bunch to the neighbor to burn in his 2 OWBs and he was happy. I have burned it in my stove with no problems and I do check my chimney 3 times a year.

Back