Pioneer 1200a restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I hit a bit of a snag In my project. Im getting rough running at high rpms. Im pretty sure it’s spark related. If you put it in some wood you can feel it cutting in and out. It still has the points. I cleaned and re gapped them to 0.015”. I tried a new plug as well. Any thoughts. I plan to start it in the dark to see if the high tension lead is grounding out. Also plan to disconnect the kill wire see if that helps. What are the chances the coils gone bad?

So I hit a bit of a snag In my project. Im getting rough running at high rpms. Im pretty sure it’s spark related. If you put it in some wood you can feel it cutting in and out. It still has the points. I cleaned and re gapped them to 0.015”. I tried a new plug as well. Any thoughts. I plan to start it in the dark to see if the high tension lead is grounding out. Also plan to disconnect the kill wire see if that helps. What are the chances the coils gone bad?
With the old coils they do what the points tell them to do. Whrn they go bad its usually "end game" nothing, done.
It could be your condenser or the points are just worn or the lobe on the crank shaft is getting worn with wear? I've experienced all of these things.
A simple test I like is to install a atom chip in place of the points and condenser, if the problem goes away then I know its not my coil. Its pretty easy to then replace the points and condenser with nos parts or leave the chip in place for electric ignition.

With the old coils they do what the points tell them to do. Whrn they go bad its usually "end game" nothing, done.
It could be your condenser or the points are just worn or the lobe on the crank shaft is getting worn with wear? I've experienced all of these things.
A simple test I like is to install a atom chip in place of the points and condenser, if the problem goes away then I know its not my coil. Its pretty easy to then replace the points and condenser with nos parts or leave the chip in place for electric ignition.
I believe I have a new chip laying about.

Looks good and seems to run well in your video. Was thinking a black stencil lettering on the Pioneer side cover would set it off.
Nice job.

Well I’m calling this one done for now anyway. It turned out good for my first “restoration” I think anyway. The was a bit of a learning curve on the powder coating. The air cleaner turned out ok. I used heavy mesh screen, leather as a gasket, and a foam pre cleaner as the element. If I had to make it again. I would use a finer and not so heavy duty mesh. Thanks to anyone that helped out

Hi. I’m also in the process of restoring a 1200a. Can you provide some info on the crank seals you used? Thx
Yes the flywheel side is easy. Skf cr5662
The pto/ clutch side is 1” od 0.5” Id and 0.200” thick. The seal I used skf 4991 however it is 0.050” wider than the original. Seems to work ok though. I have written some place a seal that is exactly the same but not sure where it is atm

Yes the flywheel side is easy. Skf cr5662
The pto/ clutch side is 1” od 0.5” Id and 0.200” thick. The seal I used skf 4991 however it is 0.050” wider than the original. Seems to work ok though. I have written some place a seal that is exactly the same but not sure where it is atm
Thank you

Latest posts

Back