Pioneer P26 clutch problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbohnet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had this saw given to me and after a carb kit, cleaning up, etc it seems to run really well. Compression seems good as well. Problem is the chain won't stop turning at idle speed. The clutch is appears melted or worn. Not sure this would make the clutch engage at idle speed. Looking for some comments on what might cause this. I looked at some of the chainsaw parts websites but the clutch pictures shown for a P26 look substantially different than mine. Was there a change during the life of the saw or is this the wrong clutch? Is there a clutch from another models that would fit? Thanks!

View attachment 170359
editpost.php

Last edited:
The spring around the clutch is the problem... clutch shoes still look useable to me. Does the chain ever stop in the cut? If yes, then the clutch shoes should be replaced too. If no, then a new spring would cure the chain spinning at idle.

P.S. Your saw needs to be tuned properly. If it isn't, do that first, as a high idle speed overpowers the spring holding the clutch shoes in and allow the chain to spin.

The clutch is done, in your picture you have alot of wear on the shoes. You could try a new spring however it will fatigue quickly due tot he shoe wear. You best bet would be first to establish if its a running issue as mentioned by promac610.
There are many different designs of clutches out there, not sure if pioneer had an updated one or not, mine is identical. There will be something that will interchange out there, if you cant find an nos replacement.

The P26e takes a three shoe clutch like the one shown, the regular P26 with points ign. used a 2 shoe clutch setup. The parts # for the shoes are 429251 times 3, the girdle spring # 431574, if the spyder is required then it is # 432301.
Pioneerguy600

The P26e takes a three shoe clutch like the one shown, the regular P26 with points ign. used a 2 shoe clutch setup. The parts # for the shoes are 429251 times 3, the girdle spring # 431574, if the spyder is required then it is # 432301.
Pioneerguy600

Nice, you wouldn't happen to have a non yellow faded, greasy fingerprinted, coffee and beer stained copy of the ipl would you? or know where to get one?

Thanks for the info guys. Although I'm not an expert tuner by any means, I think the saws is running close to idle speed. I have not run the saw through wood yet and will definately do that.
Pioneerguy600 are these parts still available new or is it best to go to a used saw parts guy?

We have them over on the Pioneer saws thread where you look up Petesoldsaw and under his sig is a link to all the ipl`s for the Pioneer saws. Also you can go to the top of the home page and find Chainsawr.com, he sells saw parts, click on the site and you will see a heading come up where there are IPL`s for a lot of chainsaw makers, Pioneer saws are there also.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the info guys. Although I'm not an expert tuner by any means, I think the saws is running close to idle speed. I have not run the saw through wood yet and will definately do that.
Pioneerguy600 are these parts still available new or is it best to go to a used saw parts guy?

The parts are out there, not always easy to find , try Rottman Sales, they still have some new parts, lots of used parts still around.
Pioneerguy600

The parts are out there, not always easy to find , try Rottman Sales, they still have some new parts, lots of used parts still around.
Pioneerguy600

Pioneer guy will tell me if I`m wrong, but I think you can use a clutch that fits a P21will also do the job.Maybe even the same part No`s but I can`t be bothered to go out in the cold to the workshop to look it up.

The carrier or spyder is a different number, it may fit but not sure, the clutch uses two shoes and a spring, same nos as a P26 points saw but the one being looked for is the bigger 3 shoe clutch for the P26e.
Pioneerguy600

Hope you get it fixed. Them p26's are nice little saws. Get you one of them bucking spikes for the p-series and it makes cutting a lot easier. Just dont bust that top air filter cover...im till looking for one as my 2 p26 have to share one.

Latest posts

Back