Pioneer RA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got this little Pioneer RA from my dad. It was the first chainsaw I ever used. Going to give it a thorough going over and clean. Dad says it ran well, but his best guess as to why it doesn't start now is that the diaphragm is probably shot. I'll start there. Wondering what the best source of parts is for vintage Tillotson HL-22A carb (I think that's what it is), as well as other part. Is there a supplier for the original spec bar?2015-09-22 11.07.49.jpg 2015-09-22 11.08.02.jpg 2015-09-22 11.08.17.jpg

I have restored a fair number of them to good running order, most NOS stuff for them is very difficult to find but used parts are out there. Fuel lines can be made out of Tygon fuel line, the original fuel filters for them were just a brass screen unit in the tank and a white felt one wadded into the holder base for the glass fuel bowl, there`s a fine screen in the carb where the fuel line supplies fuel to the carb. The Tillotson HL is about the easiest carb out there to work on and a rebuild on it should put it back in service without difficulty.

I have restored a fair number of them to good running order, most NOS stuff for them is very difficult to find but used parts are out there. Fuel lines can be made out of Tygon fuel line, the original fuel filters for them were just a brass screen unit in the tank and a white felt one wadded into the holder base for the glass fuel bowl, there`s a fine screen in the carb where the fuel line supplies fuel to the carb. The Tillotson HL is about the easiest carb out there to work on and a rebuild on it should put it back in service without difficulty.
Huge thanks for the additional insights. My dad who is going strong, still splitting his own firewood and plowing his driveway in the winter is turning 95 in April and I want to do as good a job of restoring it as possible, and then re-presenting it back to him. A ton of great memories in that saw which felled firewood and trees for our family on two different Interior BC properties in the 60's. It had a brand-new bar on it when my dad bought it used in about '61 as I recall. He said that the dealer told him "a bar like that runs $1.00/inch". Big bucks back then.
Quick question - where can one locate the specs for the paint colour. Love how you did the one in your pix.
PS - I'm visiting your fair province for a couple days on business late next month. Love it & and love the people.

About the only thing you can do to get a close match for the paint is to take the best painted piece of the saw into an automotive paint supplier and have them, scan it with the special tool they have to get close matches for paint on vehicles. IEL and Pioneer used many different shades of yellow paint on their saws. The paint shades varied a lot from one production run from the next so there is no standard color for them.
There are no new bars made by any manufacturer for these old saws, sometimes a NOS one comes up on eBay but there are plenty of used bars still floating around for them. I still have our first model RA , it was the first saw I ran at around 9 years of age. It still runs very well.

This is my nicest RA in my collection,

HFKR6m5S_9LNx4p3X8oOOzqhN0GJPPxO_0vl9f6HWA=w397-h222-p-no
I0yf16rSpJzk_oVrSj76P1F7jk6DXsnWZYTicfxXxw=w364-h204-p-no
dzTGCkkGzrpdFiM_iF7WsSWTBceFEwobC08T0pQQHQ=w397-h222-p-no
W4ga6aFLHG1KZFj7nIwn61ttdBqZOdcYrHGwON0Bbg=w273-h204-p-no

Back