Piped Stihl 028 AV...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good!

Do you guys think it would be easier to build a pipe, to just get one of those bike pipes, then cut it and lengthen it or shorten it to suit the saw? Would be much easier that way.

I think it would be easier to start from scratch rather than try to modify something that wasn't meant to be, especially on the formed bike pipes.

I think he should add a bit to the stinger, that pipe doesn't look like it has much length for a stinger.

Have you run it on the muffler to compare cut times in the same piece of wood? That will give you a good idea of what kind of gain the pipe is giving.

Last edited:
I think it would be easier to start from scratch rather than try to modify something that wasn't meant to be, especially on the formed bike pipes.

I think he should add a bit to the stinger, that pipe doesn't look like it has much length for a stinger.

Thanks Frank! Someday I'll try one. Just don't have the time right now for something like that. What do you use for rolling cones? Couldn't you just hammer them on a small pipe to form them?

Thanks Frank! Someday I'll try one. Just don't have the time right now for something like that. What do you use for rolling cones? Couldn't you just hammer them on a small pipe to form them?

I use all kinds of stuff, I have a slip roll but the diameter of the rolls are too big for headers and 2 out of the 3 cones. I mainly use a dead center out of a old lathe. It takes me about 12 hours start to finish on a pipe, though I've never done one start to finish in one setting, this isn't including the layout. Pipes are fun to build and fun to figure out.

Here is the slip roll that is dated 1879, still in use!

7900pipe011.jpg

Last edited:
I use all kinds of stuff, I have a slip roll but the diameter of the rolls are too big for headers and 2 out of the 3 cones. I mainly use a dead center out of a old lathe. It takes me about 12 hours start to finish on a pipe, though I've never done one start to finish in one setting, this isn't including the layout. Pipes are fun to build and fun to figure out.

Here is the slip roll that is dated 1879, still in use!

7900pipe011.jpg

Thanks! How do you figure out the pipe size though? Is there some special formula? Then there is the printing of the cone layout too?

There is many ways to do that, pipe programs or hand calced formula's or find someone that has a known pipe that works and copy it:laugh:

I tried running it on the stock mufler and there is a big diffrence.... it keeps the rpm´s much better with the pipe.... and cuts alot faster... :chainsaw:

Some of you guys say I should extend the sticker... What do you mean with "the sticker"...? :confused:

what difference would it make...? I can't see how that will effect the shockwave...!

It will create more pressure if the stinger is longer, less if it is shorter. You might want to add 6" or so to it and then cut a 1/2" off at a time to see if it responds better or worse. Compare by cutting the same wood and timing to see if the saw gets faster.

Hi Guys

I got the plastic cover and the air filter mounted, so here is a couple of pictures...

And I did some fine tuning so here is another video too.... :biggrinbounce2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzVdhAgXc2Q

I timed the cutting times from the first video to this one the first video was 12,55 Sec. this one is 7,79 Sec.... SWEET :D

oh and of course I #### up at the end off the video... :bang: Still fun thou

Back