pistachio firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I pick up a 1/2 cord! Check out the grain on this stuff. It is very heavy and dense much more so then the white oak i have here.
The wood is curved mess thank god its split and Bone dry. Take pistahio.jpg a look at a pistachio tree not much heart wood.
An amazing score. 370 a cord in vegas

pistacho2.jpg
Well I pick up a 1/2 cord! Check out the grain on this stuff. It is very heavy and dense much more so then the white oak i have here.
The wood is curved mess thank god its split and Bone dry. Take View attachment 520645 a look at a pistachio tree not much heart wood.
An amazing score. 370 a cord in vegas
pic 2pistacho2.jpg

That's 1/2 a cord? I figured pistachios grew in the ground like peanuts. Huh.

Whatever the reason, they are about $20/lb!

Use Chinese / atlas pistache wood here in North California. This is the root stock for pistachio trees and onimentals that have naturalized arround the Woodland/Esparto area. It is a trash trees. Burns OK. Prefere oak, almond. Dense wood that cuts a little on the slow side. Sounds similar to Osage orange from description from others. Just like cutting osage orange, did observe an occasional spark off chain from 3 different brands of chains. Very difficult to split. Cut 12 inch lengths since it takes forever to dry even in 95 degree low humidity days in the Sacramento valley. Cut wood does often gets mild infestation fron some beetle and the dust from the infestation can be noticed under a stack of cut wood. The problem did not spread to the nearby stacks of oak, ash, elm, or pine.

Any idea if it produces quality flavor for meat smoking, fruit and nut trees are often the best for flavor. Thats neat, thank you for sharing this
Only used the wood for heating the house when temperatures are too cold for the heat pump to operate efficiently , so i cannot offer any advise based on experience on use for BBQ. My impression is that the wood would not impart any special seasoning.

Back