Piston aluminium alloy and ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey1980

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi forum,

I just want to know a better opinion, I want to manufacture a piston and a piston ring, I know that the best alloys for this are Al 4032 or 2618, and rings made with grey cast iron. But sometimes is hard to find these Al alloys, I need another opinion or even with which alloy are made the pistons for chainsaws and trimmers, and its specifications, and for the rings too... because I guess that the Automotive industry is a little different from the garden industry. Why I am asking this? because is very hard to find a spare part here and I do not have much time to waiting for the part arrive (one month or so, even more).

Thanks so much. have a great day!

To fit in most common trimmers and chainsaws, size/diameter for the the same +- commercial chainsaws and trimmers (25 to 45 CC engines)... I guess that the parameters of size/diameter are only to specify the parameters of the heath treatment, indeed the time and depends on the Al alloy. I am saying this because if I change the brand of my trimmers and chainsaws and I do not find the replacement part I will manufacture it by myself. And I want to know what is the Al alloy that is used in the garden little machines industry or is the same Al alloys that I listed (4032 or 2618) that are common used in automotive industry.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back