Piston rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi.
I have kinda exhausted most avenues so i am turning to the experts. I have two Pioneer Farmsaws that i got here on this AR site and because i love to rebuilt the difficult items. I am in need of assistance. What i am wonder is if anyone knows if there is such a thing as piston rings that would fit the Farmsaw from another saw, i know the Poulan Pro 405/455 piston and jug will fit the saw with a mod of the decomp. The pistons that are in the saws now are thin ring type and the piston themselves along with the jugs look good ( As i stare into the muffler port. ) i would like to use the original jugs and pistons if possible but barring this i will go to the poulan-pro i am just looking to do the job alittle cheaper if at all possible. Thanks for the help.

Doc

i looked for one 4-5 years ago for the farmsaw and had no luck. get a 405 piston kit and put it in the farmsaw cylinder as they are the same size but the new pistons have two thin rings instead of one thick one. the 455 is a bigger bore and won't fit the original cylinder. if memory serves me right the piston kit was only about $50 from the dealer. also wondered if you got the cover parts yet
james

Farmsaws

Hi James

I will go for the Poulan 405 kit. The pistons that are in those saws i have now are thin ring, they may be Poulan 405?? If so i could just exchange the rings i think as the pistons and jug look good, i will pick up some 405 piston kits anyway and have the original jugs honed. I have not rec'd the cover and parts yet but, if you come across another cover pls let me know, i want it and will cover the difference from before also as i believe that to be fair. I have the saws cleaned and i am waiting for the parts. I will in the meantime pick up a couple of Poulan 405 kits also. Thanks.

Joe

Last edited:
I might be a little late, but don't hone your jugs. They are chrome plated from the factory, and once the chrome is worn away you have to replace the cylinders.

Latest posts

Back