Piston specs Efco 156 Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likesaws

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have Efco 156 needs a piston, was wondering if anything else crossed over.
It is a window piston and looks very similar to a Stihl 028 piston. Both 46mm
Specs of Efco are
46 mm Diamiter
38 mm top of piston to bottom of skirt
12 mm wrist pin x 32 mm wide
15.5 mm top of pin to top of piston
image.jpg image.jpg You can see ring stop pins in pictures. Also rings are 46 mm x 1.5 mm wide.
By the way got this as a parts saw would like to make it a runner looks like a very low hour saw.
I think I can save the cylinder top beat up some, side walls look ok.

Yes, efco still offers pistons...aftermarket options exist as well. 962/162 OEM top end will fit.

Yes, efco still offers pistons...aftermarket options exist as well. 962/162 OEM top end will fit.

Yes the Efco piston I found was priced around $100.00. The 028 is a 46 mm windowed piston, was trying to see if meteor made a piston that would work, none on eBay right now, except a golf brand.

What came lose to break that piston? Looking like you might be needing bearings as well.

I'm not sure what happened parts saw that way when I got it. Bottom end looks very clean cylinder beat up on top side walls still nice. I agree bearings need cleaned and inspected very close if not replaced. Going to use a 028 dome
piston if can find pin that works and have enough clearance on top. I think someone might have droped something in while plug was out.
Only thing I found inside was small pieces of the rings.

What's the id on the efco rod? You'll need to find a needle bearing with a 10mm id and an od of whatever your rod end size is. I'm guessing early 044 bearing or maybe an 066 clutch bearing.

Whatever grenaded that piston did so from the bottom. Just like a bb gun shooting a thick store window. It leaves a pinhole on the side it hits, and a crater on the opposite side.

Back