Piston upgrade on 266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMwoodchuck

"Saw geek"
Reaction score
I am in the middle of rebuilding my 266xp due to case issues. I would like to keep this saw as stock as possible with a few minor tweak's as I would like to use this as a benchmark for my 266se build. the bore in the stock cyl.is good but I would like to replace the piston and ring because, I will never be any closer. My question is. Dose anyone know of a "windowed" two ring 50mm piston that might be made to work in this saw? the pin measures 11.96mm the overall piston length is 40.42mm. Now I realize this saw is old and some (less than helpful) shops have asked me why bother?.... I guess I have a soft spot for well built old equipment

Thank You for the lead AK. After emailing Randy I found that his piston was only a single ring. Dose anyone know the measurements of a Stilh 038 piston? I know it is a 50mm windowed , two ring piston, I was wondering if the pin to face measurement or wrist pin were even close to my 266's. Looking back in old post I read that some guys saw noticeable gains in compression just by putting a 268 piston in a 266 cylinder. Has anyone had any experiences playing with different pistons in this family of saws?

Thank You for the lead AK. After emailing Randy I found that his piston was only a single ring. Dose anyone know the measurements of a Stilh 038 piston? I know it is a 50mm windowed , two ring piston, ....

You don't really want a two ring piston if a one ring one is an option - unless there are other reasons to use the two ring one of course.

Some good info. here. ST got me to thinking about the two ring vs. one ring because in my mind a two ring piston would tend to seal better than a single ring, but the general consensus is that a single ring will yield better compression. This might be a good future comparison, the old 266xp case just might be used for a test subject! My thanks go out to you all for your time and input on this. I'm never going to be too old to learn something new. David Y, I'm just south of central VT. in Orange Co.

Latest posts

Back