Places to cut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love stories with happy endings.
People with integrity are getting harder and harder to find. Congratulations on being one of the good guys
Rep sent!

Patty what sort of wood you using in that automated brisket smoker?

That would be maple. We have something killing the native maples. I was reading back and realized I had not posted a picture of a burning slash pile.

Here's where I have cut a lot of alder. It is on the same property. I've almost got this pile cut up and hauled home now.
cull pile0001.JPG

You call that a slash pile, looks like a smoldering disgrace to me.

I have about 2 a year in the backyard, it's amazing how things pile up.

Before,

2584381.jpg

o69mya.jpg

2gxo6j9.jpg

m9m4xc.jpg

The pampas grass in the Spring is actually kind of scary.

11meqaa.jpg

burning fail0001_4.JPG Well, let's call it more of a smoldering pile, that picture was the morning after.
This is better, but it was green and uncovered so hard to get going. We have our secret methods, like going back again and again. Come up to our climate and give it a try. It aint dried out grass.

The most fun to burn, except you can't stand around and watch if you are on the clock, are the piles of tops left by the delimber on the landing. Those can get quite large and if burned after a year of drying, will put out quite the heat.

View attachment 324686 Well, let's call it more of a smoldering pile, that picture was the morning after.
This is better, but it was green and uncovered so hard to get going. We have our secret methods, like going back again and again. Come up to our climate and give it a try. It aint dried out grass.

The most fun to burn, except you can't stand around and watch if you are on the clock, are the piles of tops left by the delimber on the landing. Those can get quite large and if burned after a year of drying, will put out quite the heat.

Ahh.........The old leaf blower trick, works great.

Well resurrecting an old thread, but I am always after new places to cut. My logger buddies were in the area so I went out to see them at lunch armed with ice cold root beer and ice cream. All was well and one told me there was a LOT of hardwood farther back in the field at the base of the hills.

Soo........ I stopped and talked to the landowner on the way out and he said "have at it, it would be great for the log cut offs to be cleaned up".

Well resurrecting an old thread, but I am always after new places to cut. My logger buddies were in the area so I went out to see them at lunch armed with ice cold root beer and ice cream. All was well and one told me there was a LOT of hardwood farther back in the field at the base of the hills.

Soo........ I stopped and talked to the landowner on the way out and he said "have at it, it would be great for the log cut offs to be cleaned up".
The master at work right there. Impressive!

Good show!
As both a land owner and wood cutter I hope that this thread stays near the top for a long time or gets made into a sticky. Land owners seem to have a rep as the A holes but I can tell you boys that in the real world there is reason for it. I know of many, MANY farmers that would dearly love to have somebody like this fellow on their property and would even gladly help him out. People who do like this are 1 -100 the rest just want the gravy and scat. Personally I have more places to cut than I can possibly ever use and wood is rotting in the ground on most of them because they wont let anybody else cut. At every place I am welcome to use the farm skid-steer, or loader tractor. Just last week a big time real estate agent I barely know stopped by the house and left a note with several parcels I can cut on. I dont say this as brag but to make a point. The guy across the road cant find a place to cut, but he also has a reputation, a "slightly" different one than mine. All a person has to do is what the land owner asks him to do and maybe just a bit more. Dont cut ruts with your truck. Stack and burn the brush. Ask the farmer if hed like somewood for the fireplace. You may have to grunt it out and take sycamore or wood you dont want or get it up a grade or carry it a few feet or cut brush all day to get a trailer load but the word will get around, believe me and you will be buried in places to cut in due time.

Yep, I clean up all my mess plus anything in the vicinity where I am working. I have list of gold plated references as long as my arm (been at it 40 years now). Currently working on two different farms just for something to do. I have more wood in my wood lot than I will burn in my remaining time.

Pyromania? Here I come. Last winter/spring I burned over 30 brushpiles. Farmer hadn't given permission to burn the previous 4 years.

I offer the landowner to either burn the brush or just pile it and leave for critters. So far all have wanted it burned.

This might be a old thread, but I like the approach to obtaining fire wood. I dont do a lot of cleanup when I scrounge wood. Usually I find someone clearing a house site or building a road and hit them up for what ever wood i can get. they usually have a dozer or trackhoe on site and they just want the bigger stuff gone so they dont have to pile it. Sometimes I will fall the trees for them and sometimes they just push them over. I would rather fall that cut pushed up trees, but it is what it is. I use a dump trailer to haul the wood and they will usually load the trailer for me. When I do have to clean up, I made a small root rake for my ventrac tractor. I will cut liimb 10ft long down to about 3 or 4 in dia and use the tractor to skid them out then turn around and use the root rake to push what little brush is left into a pile. I can haul about a full cord of long wood on the trailer and most house sites wont have more than one or two loads. Pretty easy wood gathering most of the time, but you have to be ready to go when the grade contractor is ready to move dirt.

Hi Ron: Pretty warm to be cutting wood, although today is not bad.

How are the apple trees going?

Growing like weeds, a few are within inchs of the 9' wire. Just finished drip irrigation and tomorrow building a bypass for the fertilizer injector that will work with the drip irrigation system.

2iufggp.jpg

Live stock loose in the orchard

103isyv.jpg

vcz6fq.jpg

2rr6nhf.jpg

Growing like weeds, a few are within inchs of the 9' wire. Just finished drip irrigation and tomorrow building a bypass for the fertilizer injector that will work with the drip irrigation system.

2iufggp.jpg

Live stock loose in the orchard

103isyv.jpg

vcz6fq.jpg

2rr6nhf.jpg
That is the reslute of a lot of work...and more to come!!

That is the reslute of a lot of work...and more to come!!

No big deal, only 500 more to go, but I might change things and take out the 4 year old trees and replace with tall spindle which would make room for 300 more.

Ron, Where is the orchard and will you be selling apples this year?

It is in my backyard. I live North of Lacrosse WI.

The 4 year old trees should have had a good crop this year, the bloom was excellent. However the frost wiped out 95% of the crop so apples are not going to be for sale this year. The trees shown in the above pic will be cropped at 5-10 apples/tree next year to control vigor.

Latest posts

Back