Places to cut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the ROI for an apple orchard? Just curious with the amount of work that is involved in setting one up.

I don't know if I want to generate a ROI number. This is a hobby of mine since 1991, it has always more than paid for itself. The trellis system is the modern way of doing things and in the long run easier in regards to labor, chemicals and safety. As I get older, the scampering around on the red step of a 10' ladder is not something I relish. The trellis is much more expensive and labor intensive originally than the old system of large trees on 25 x 25' spacing but yields much more and comes to market in 1/3 the time. If you notice, there is 1000' of 8' deer fencing too.

It is in my backyard. I live North of Lacrosse WI.

The 4 year old trees should have had a good crop this year, the bloom was excellent. However the frost wiped out 95% of the crop so apples are not going to be for sale this year. The trees shown in the above pic will be cropped at 5-10 apples/tree next year to control vigor.
Frost took care of any apples I may have had on my 2 trees in my yard. I did see one apple on a wild apple tree in my woods.

Well I thought I'd resurrect this old thread with my new place to cut wood. My logger buddies cleared out of here yesterday, got two loads so far and permission from the landowner. He really wants it gone and I offered I'd help burn up anything that is left. Never underestimate an old retired guy with a chainsaw and time.

zntyqg.jpg

206fotf.jpg

wgwcgx.jpg

15yvhpe.jpg

9bdab6.jpg

357rqf6.jpg

Very cool thread @c5rulz!

I wish there was more logging in my immediate area. I'd love to get my trailer loaded with chunks like that.

How far North of lacrosse are you? I'm up in River Falls. If you ever make it up here, I'd love to talk you into stopping by for a visit. I cut a decent amount of firewood and an buying an orchard from the neighbor this year. I bet we'd find something to talk about. :)

Glad you brought this thread back. Those are some nice looking stacks!

C5
That is a lot of work and good on you for going out and making it happen. So many people just figure stuff should be handed to them these days. I bet every land owner you work for is left very impressed and happy , I know I would be. Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

A few to these place to cut I had lined up before the logging commenced. Some of the landowners I have made friends with and still associate with even though the wood cutting is over. One got me going on bluebirds as he is quite an expert. He gave me a dozen houses and I set them up on the golf course I play every day and take care of them.

C5 does that refer to Homelite C-5? My grandfather had a C-51 I think? I live in his old home Gramp is gone now for 20 years or more , but I still work the wood lot he did and live in his home and own all his property 69 acres. I have been here since 1982.

For sentimental value I would like to have a C-51 some day. All I can remember is it was blue, loud and had a "Zippo looking" muffler with small holes in it. I think it may have been a C-51 that is the closest one I have seen in Acres site. He most likely would have bought it in the early to mid 60s.

Looking good my friend. Makes me jealous, I'm not going to lie as I'd rather be out there doing the same. Looks like you have enough "reserves" to keep themselves entertained when not screaming. :) As we have discussed before. Treat land owners and people who set you up with respect and you'll never have to search too hard for a wood source again.

C5 does that refer to Homelite C-5? My grandfather had a C-51 I think? I live in his old home Gramp is gone now for 20 years or more , but I still work the wood lot he did and live in his home and own all his property 69 acres. I have been here since 1982.

For sentimental value I would like to have a C-51 some day. All I can remember is it was blue, loud and had a "Zippo looking" muffler with small holes in it. I think it may have been a C-51 that is the closest one I have seen in Acres site. He most likely would have bought it in the early to mid 60s.

C5 isn't a chainsaw thing, it was when I was into Corvettes.

Here is my old one:

4126o.jpg

2amhed.jpg

where I've been cutting, we've been cutting/dropping so many ash trees down that we're just bulldozing them into a huge pile. just dropped and pushed. unfortunately, they get covered in mud as they are pushed into the piles. some of these trees are huge and straight, but can't seem to find a mill that wants them. so, into a pile they go.

I have way too much firewood in my back yard, so the only trees I've been keeping for myself are cherry, oak and iron wood...all others are pushed away. I have neighbors that always say they want wood, but they never seem to have the time to come up and work for it. ( I don't sell fire wood)

and as payment, I got poison oak on my wrist. :(

I worked cleaning up a farmers wood 'plantation'. about 10 acres. Mostly oak with some tamarack, locust maple scattered around. All those trees were planted by some previous owner. Current owner just dozes the fallen ones into piles (dirt included). The plot is way overdue to be harvested for saw logs. In this country oak, other than as a yard tree in town, is unheard of. I pulled logs out and cut into firewood size for him (I dont' need it but did take a couiple loads). Last I saw it was still out there in rounds in the piles I left.

Well I got myself a new wood hauler, 2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab, 50,500 miles. It's been so warm I worked on the pile and started hauling today in earnest. Got most of it cut up.

vo4h84.jpg

904pyc.jpg

This is pretty much junk.

2v7szk5.jpg

Processed to haul home to the stacks for splitting.

2nm0g28.jpg

2qscsv6.jpg

You can see where the pile was. The big one still needs to get pulled off, it is mighty heavy.
35i8ykg.jpg

Well I got myself a new wood hauler, 2011 Ford F250 Crew Cab, 50,500 miles. It's been so warm I worked on the pile and started hauling today in earnest. Got most of it cut up.

vo4h84.jpg

904pyc.jpg

This is pretty much junk.

2v7szk5.jpg

Processed to haul home to the stacks for splitting.

2nm0g28.jpg

2qscsv6.jpg

You can see where the pile was. The big one still needs to get pulled off, it is mighty heavy.
35i8ykg.jpg
How did the truck ride with a load?

I was out to see my logger buddies today. They started the BIG PARCEL I have been waiting for.
1qheh5.jpg

The landowner who is a friend of mine told them he wanted a Supervisor with a WHITE hard hat to keep tabs on the operation. So I brought along a hard hat that got a few laughs.

169j511.jpg

otlnbo.jpg

qp3yp0.jpg

Unreal how soft it is for February.

250q8hc.jpg

nmhlhc.jpg

etaa08.jpg

Back