Planted some new oaks today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. To many today don't think about the future. To many today don't want to do anything because they won't reap the rewards. How many times have you heard that by so many people " I won't live to see it". What would the world look like today without a little thought of our forefathers. Good job!

I know I'll never live to see em get anywhere near full size, but I thought I'd give to the future generations some. I planted 2 red oaks, 2 white oaks, and 2 pin oaks, they're all pretty small right now, about 6-7' tall, but I hope they'll be nice ones someday!

Good on Ya !! I plant about 40-50 trees a year on My place . Anything from pine to Osage . This Year it's been black locust , honey locust ,Hawthorne and eastern white pine . Hopefully down the road someone will look at them and appreciate the view .

I have some growing naturally. I put a hand full of fertilizer around them today. I transplanted a few ash this week and 6 or 7 hybrid poplars this week. At 47 I don't do it for myself. My son is 13 and daughter is 17. They might see them but their kids will for sure. MY hybrid poplars are 3 years old and avr. 6' high so I will harvest them in 20 yrs.

Being in an area surrounded by suburbia (Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Rockford), I see more cropland and 200 year old Oak trees paved over than I would like to remember, so I try to plant a few Bur Oak trees each year as well. I hope one day that I will be able to restore our 125 acre farm to what it would have been 300 years ago. This would include prairie, savanna, woods, and wetland.

I know I'll never live to see em get anywhere near full size, but I thought I'd give to the future generations some. I planted 2 red oaks, 2 white oaks, and 2 pin oaks, they're all pretty small right now, about 6-7' tall, but I hope they'll be nice ones someday!

Someone rep this man for me! I'm out of rep bullets. Love to see someone thinking about the next gen! :)

Someone rep this man for me! I'm out of rep bullets. Love to see someone thinking about the next gen! :)

Got him! On my own planting expedition, I haven't got seedlings in the ground yet, but just for giggles I gathered up a few acorns from under some of my white oaks and planted them in an open spot in the flower garden. Just maybe they'll sprout!

YOU ARE THE MAN!...or woman. hard to tell from name. I planted 2 Pin oaks 2 years ago. I wish I had room to plant more trees. Maybe I should sneak onto my neighbors properties and plant some since they like to make things look like Florida.

Great job planting trees. I buy from 50-100 trees every year from the county. Just finished today tilling up this years spot where I'll be planting a mix of spruce and some hardwoods. Probably 50 spruce and 25 maples, 25 white oaks.

Great job planting trees. I buy from 50-100 trees every year from the county. Just finished today tilling up this years spot where I'll be planting a mix of spruce and some hardwoods. Probably 50 spruce and 25 maples, 25 white oaks.

I'm just in the wrong area. How many acres do you have?? Gees! Good for all you guys planting all these trees!

I have 20 acres...about 5 acres that isn't wooded including the yard. I'm planting them probably too close together but they are just 12-18" saplings, with hopes of replanting at some point or possibly selling as small trees.

I've only got 2 acres here. about 3/4 acre wooded. Most of my timber is just brush, a few ash trees, and a bunch of dead and dying elms. I just clean up the dead stuff around here for firewood, otherwise I'd like to get some new stuff growing. I lost 4 good sized ash trees to a storm a couple years ago, they were kinda blocking the view to my closest neighbor, so I kinda wanna get some cover back over that area.

Any other good ideas for some faster growing hardwod trees, something that will grow faster than the oaks, but still make for some decent cover and shade?

maybe try some Red [soft] maple . grows like a weed and gives some decent color in the fall. good for you on planting anything. remember the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago

maybe try some Red [soft] maple . grows like a weed and gives some decent color in the fall. good for you on planting anything. remember the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago

Weeds is right, you will have those red maples coming up everywhere! You could try some hard(sugar) maples, if given light they will shoot up pretty fast and then spread out.

Ya, wish I would been here 20 years ago to plant a bunch of trees, I've only had this place for a few years. I'm only 28, so I've got some time to see some trees grow a little, but I'll probably never see those oaks full size.

Good for you, You will see them grow. I planted a few of them about twenty five years ago and then some more about twenty years ago. they have really grown and are nice shade trees now. More leaves to blow up and burn though.lol You will enjoy watching them grow.

Latest posts

Back