Plastic leaking tank seam repair how to..pix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a gas tank, right?

Wow,
This was gas tank repair, right? No mention on purging the tank...
Okay, so we be heatin' this baby up, perhaps causing a fire (probably my luck), and the whole shop goes.
I'd title this project: "Holy Smoke!"

Wow,
This was gas tank repair, right? No mention on purging the tank...
Okay, so we be heatin' this baby up, perhaps causing a fire (probably my luck), and the whole shop goes.
I'd title this project: "Holy Smoke!"

Yup,a gas tank...
curiouse as to what temperature gasoline will ignite at ??
oh,,wait,,it needs a spark dont it ??
or super high compression..
luckily i have a grounded soldering iron,wouldnt want to cause a spark when touching it to that plastic :)
no problem man,common sense,drain the tank,blow it out,etc..

175231d1299535571-all-thumbs-up-jpg

I'll add another post to the thread !

Yup,a gas tank...
curiouse as to what temperature gasoline will ignite at ??
oh,,wait,,it needs a spark dont it ??
or super high compression..
luckily i have a grounded soldering iron,wouldnt want to cause a spark when touching it to that plastic :)
no problem man,common sense,drain the tank,blow it out,etc..

Just surprised there was no mention initially about "drain the tank, blow it out, etc." I'm new here, guys, so gotta cut me some slack. As to the "common sense," I'm 72 and still got all my fingers and both eyes--pure luck, for sure, all there is to it!
Really enjoying the chainsaw forum! Thanks...

Just surprised there was no mention initially about "drain the tank, blow it out, etc." I'm new here, guys, so gotta cut me some slack. As to the "common sense," I'm 72 and still got all my fingers and both eyes--pure luck, for sure, all there is to it!
Really enjoying the chainsaw forum! Thanks...

Well i gotta tell ya man,,your doin good keeping all your parts intact !! :)
sometimes in a "how to" thread the little details are left out as most are usually ASS umed to be standard SOP..
also a tad of ribbing and funnin is par for the course :)
you will work out fine here.
now, " thank you very much,drive through " ..

Just another bump for a great thread, thanks Ron for taking the time to take the picts and posting them and the narritive that goes with it. There may be some others that missed this when it was first posted that can get to read it now.

Sir,
You are a credit to AS and all the members here!
I loved your post, to the point and the best part is it worked!
I hope I do not need to have the info, but it is nice to know that it is here.

:rock:

Wonder if there are fumes from the melting plastic. Maybe a good face mask is in order when playing with that plastic. Just a thought:msp_smile:

I bought a saw that had been repaired this way and was leaking. It did not look nearly as good as your repair. I found a pin hole leak so I used seal all its like a cross between silicone and airplane glue sets hard Its been 5 weeks still holding.

I love this! I think I'm going to try the same method to repair a cracked cylinder cover for one of my 026's. Once again, great idea, thanks.

I love this! I think I'm going to try the same method to repair a cracked cylinder cover for one of my 026's. Once again, great idea, thanks.

I have done many 346 shrouds with excellent results. They look a little like Dr. Frankenstein got a hold of them. But they stay together very well. BTW, I don't use filler rod. I have had trimmer line and it doesn't seem to be as dense as the covers. I just run the center seam, then fold over the edges on either side, then flatten the seam down.

"...you will work out fine here."

Well i gotta tell ya man,,your doin good keeping all your parts intact !! :)
sometimes in a "how to" thread the little details are left out as most are usually ASS umed to be standard SOP..
also a tad of ribbing and funnin is par for the course :)
you will work out fine here.
now, " thank you very much,drive through " ..

This is just a super forum, where there are some pretty remarkable folks. I've asked a whole bunch of questions about chainsaw problems, with great advice, since this stupid post you refer to. And man, have I come some distance, a long ways--as I continue to learn more and more.
Looking back now, don't we all miss pioneerguy600 and Andyshine77!
Thanks, roncoinc, for your understanding and kindness--much appreciated!

Haven't worked any plastic in a while (Lot of lights and fenders on 70's dirt bikes).
does the type of plastic in the saw tanks have that sorta fizzy feel
as you're pushing the tip through it?
It did with all the stuff back in pre-sunlight break down days.

and the question on gases/fumes :
yes, the *old* stuff would give you some raw eyes and a headache, if you didn't ventilate the area.

Latest posts

Back