Please advise on the chain saw model, need to upgrade from Hasquarna 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebforce

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would greatly appreciate a suggestion. Need a better saw. I bought this model about two years ago, 40.9cc, 18" and this is my first chain saw. Since then, I learned a bunch of different cuts, how to sharpen and how to tune, so this thing runs top-notch.

Need something that cuts much faster like at least 30% faster and a 20" bar. I use it to fall, delimb and chop hard words oak, maple and an occasional old large pine brought down by storms. This saw also jams really easy with just a small bar compression and I have little time to mess around when I need things cut.

Would like to spend as little as possible on something that will cut much better.

Thanks!

whats your budget?
personally i would recommend a Husqvarna 550XP for your needs it should do you well for a long time to come. i use the 550 XPG with a 18" B&C for most small stuff (up to about 20"dia.) on the ground unless i already have my 572 out. if its in your budget its definitely a good choice for your use

whats your budget?
personally i would recommend a Husqvarna 550XP for your needs it should do you well for a long time to come. i use the 550 XPG with a 18" B&C for most small stuff (up to about 20"dia.) on the ground unless i already have my 572 out. if its in your budget its definitely a good choice for your use

Hi and thanks, I will check on the pricing, but basically I am OK spending as long as it has tangible value in cutting. I am not cutting 10hrs a day like a pro, I just want the damn thing to slice like butter :) when I need one tree down. Also, stumps get really large at the root foundation and can be a project. I dig them down about 6" below ground and cut flush. The 440 just boggs down. Also, I have no attachment to this specific brand, that is what they had in Lowes on sale that day.

Sounds like an echo cs590 is right up your alley. I may be selling mine, I’m upgrading to a pro saw. In your case I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new 590. They’re $400 with a 20” and can be had much cheaper with the dealer days sales if you can wait.

You could look around your area, Craig’s List, shoppers, for a clean Stihl 036 pro. $3-400. It will even handle a 24” if you need it tho some would say you have to have an 044 or more. I got a used 036 for $170, put a meteor P/C in and have a good runner for less than $300. What is your local dealer support like? Are parts available for what your looking for? Check out the for sale forum here.

Back