please help 064 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moetank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given my uncles 064 as he new i was looking for a saw and had just bought a new 660 anyhow the saw fired right up but once warm it wouldn’t idle So figuring i would get one good tune up before i started tinkering with it I took it to the local stihl dealer I 125$:dizzy: later i get it home and now it wont idle at all and after I pull the cord a few times its like the compression builds up or something because it just locks up and slams your hand back into the saw or rips your hand all up. I have no idea what to do Should i just take it back to the shop im a little irritated at the price and lack of fixing the problem already any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

moetank said:
I was given my uncles 064 as he new i was looking for a saw and had just bought a new 660 anyhow the saw fired right up but once warm it wouldn’t idle So figuring i would get one good tune up before i started tinkering with it I took it to the local stihl dealer I 125$:dizzy: later i get it home and now it wont idle at all and after I pull the cord a few times its like the compression builds up or something because it just locks up and slams your hand back into the saw or rips your hand all up. I have no idea what to do Should i just take it back to the shop im a little irritated at the price and lack of fixing the problem already any help that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Take it back... Don't mess with it.. most shops have a warranty on their work.

064av

sounds like hydraulic lock, pull sparkplug, pull starter 8 or 10 times, install plug, start with choke off but fast idle set. if that works take it back to the shop, carb may be gitting to much fuel. brian

Is the cord pullback or stopping because its a big saw or is there something wrong if could get the cord to pull correctly everytime without breaking my shoulder i think it may run after its warmed up

moetank said:
locks up and slams your hand back into the saw or rips your hand all up.

Pretty good description of how my Mac kart saw starts. Doesn't sound right for an 064. Only time I recall this on a Stihl is when I chose the wrong keyway on a flywheel with two keyways. Timing was way advanced.

Chris B.

moetank said:

What did the dealer claim he did to the saw for that $120.00, thats where I would start to get a idea of just what they were attempting to fix. Still got the bill for the repair????

sparkplug, air filter, fuel filter and "cleaned up the carb" then aparently it took him like an hour to adjust the carb correctly hence the 85$ is shop time and the rest was in parts. I just didnt think it would be near as much or i woulda just messed with it because things were a lot better before hand.

064av

count the turns on the low and hi carb jets as you turn them in. turn out one turn for each, if low setting is a turn and half or more it's been adjusted to compensate for a lean problem. BRIAN

moetank said:
sparkplug, air filter, fuel filter and "cleaned up the carb" then aparently it took him like an hour to adjust the carb correctly hence the 85$ is shop time and the rest was in parts. I just didnt think it would be near as much or i woulda just messed with it because things were a lot better before hand.

hmmmmmm sounds like you got the usual tune up items without any results. From what your describing it sounds like that saw is out of time. Sounds like the timing is way advanced , other words its firing before reaching top dead center by many a degree. Thats why its snatching the rope out of your hand. I'd take that baby back and tellem you already paid the bill for fixing it and now its time to fix it...................

so confused

Ok i took the saw back the next day and they have had it since. I just talked to him and He said he had a guy bring in another 064 and he took the coil and flywheel off that and put it on mine said it ran fine except that the compression is at 125 pretty low? well he said that was high but then he looked in the book lol anyhow he thinks that my coil and flywheel arent matched (how possible who knows) aparently I have the new style coil round instead of rectangle and old flywheel numberd 11224001204 so now he has me looking for either a matched set coil fly wheel, oldstyle coil or a new flywheel with the 2 keyholes number 11224001203 does this sound right to anyone? Anyone have any used ones laying around they would like to sell. Most important is it even worth fixing this thing with that compression or should i just scrap it. Anyhelp would be awesome

the 064 is a good big saw. IMO well worth the money to repair.
it won't cost $1,000 to fix it, but thats what a new 660 costs here.
-Ralph

does that sound like a valid problem seems like i would have noticed it before it went in will running it with that compression damage anything else? any place else to find used parts besides ebay i really dont even know what im looking for yet sorry for all the questions thanks in advance

imo, you don't need a coil and flywheel. you only need one or the other to match what you have.
125 psi is on the low side. if compression is low, its low on the impulse side pumping gas too. makes it hard to start, lot of cranking. runs a little lean, makes folks adjust the carb richer to compensate.. on and on. pull the muffler and look at the guts. if it looks ok, no major scratches, throw in a set of rings (off ebay $16, dealer price $50)
my $0.02
-Ralph

moetank said:
Ok i took the saw back the next day and they have had it since. I just talked to him and He said he had a guy bring in another 064 and he took the coil and flywheel off that and put it on mine said it ran fine except that the compression is at 125 pretty low? well he said that was high but then he looked in the book lol anyhow he thinks that my coil and flywheel arent matched (how possible who knows) aparently I have the new style coil round instead of rectangle and old flywheel numberd 11224001204 so now he has me looking for either a matched set coil fly wheel, oldstyle coil or a new flywheel with the 2 keyholes number 11224001203 does this sound right to anyone? Anyone have any used ones laying around they would like to sell. Most important is it even worth fixing this thing with that compression or should i just scrap it. Anyhelp would be awesome

Sounds like your 064 once had a coil installed,the wrong one, not likely the flywheel ever went bad, coils do. Most likely that wrong coil is why your saw was kicking back so hard, way out of time. If I were you I would throw a 100.00 in for the right coil and you can put it on yourself, sure isn't much to that. 125 psi is a tad low but its not so low it won't run and cut some wood. May not idle perfectly but what you have is a saw with some use on it. Adjusting the carb a tad might solve your idling problem to a degree. If you want it perfect just yank the jug and put a new set of rings in it and you got yourself one pretty good saw. I have a 064 that runs like a watch. Tant the fastest saw in the world for its size by no means but its plenty fast and strong enough for just about any tree you may encounter. A good 064 is a keeper in simpler terms..............

thanks for the info do you know what coil i need to match my current flywheel 1122 400 1204 then thers a 1 right by it all the shop told me is that i needed a old style one not really sure what that means

moetank said:
thanks for the info do you know what coil i need to match my current flywheel 1122 400 1204 then thers a 1 right by it all the shop told me is that i needed a old style one not really sure what that means

Hold on a minute my friend, I'm gonna whip out a parts disc and see whatcha need and show you the right numbers. Be right back...

moetank said:

Took a look at my parts disc here and the correct flywheel # is 1122-400-1203. The coil is 0000-400-1300. They had that saw with heated handles and that one took a 1122-400-1207 flywheel and a 1122-400-1300 coil. I don't know where they are getting that 1122-400-1204 flywheel number from. If they are getting that number off the flywheel itself they are messing up. The numbers stamped on the parts do not mean they are the exact part number for that part. Sometimes those numbers on the parts themselves are batch numbers so beware of numbers on the parts. Sometimes they match as the right part number, sometime they don't, though close, but batch numbers.....

thanks so much they told me to look for the 1122 400 1203 said it had 2 key holes do u know if this is true because the current one does not Im just trying to figure out if its the wrong coil or the wrong flywheel he did say that my flywheel worked with the "old style coil" though so maybe that answers my own question

do you or anyone else know what if any other models used that flywheel or coil I think I have that coil but an incorect flywheel well thats what they think who knows anymore

moetank said:
thanks so much they told me to look for the 1122 400 1203 said it had 2 key holes do u know if this is true because the current one does not Im just trying to figure out if its the wrong coil or the wrong flywheel he did say that my flywheel worked with the "old style coil" though so maybe that answers my own question

I think you did answer ya own question there my friend. I think your main problem is debating on whether you want to throw some bucks in that tree eater. The 064 is a horse of a saw. The bottom end(crank end) is almost impossible to hurt providing its been lubed correctly and not runned a zillion rpms. If you can get that baby striaghten out for a few hundred bucks you got a deal. That saw was replaced by the 066 and now its called the MS660 and it costs around a grand. The 064 isn't far behind it so you got a might high dollar saw there. I'd throw 300.00 in it if thats what it took to get it right, its well worth it...................

Latest posts

Back