Please help--I believe the tree may be diseased--it is a leyland cypress tree with po

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Please help--I believe the tree may be diseased--it is a leyland cypress tree with possible canker or blight disease, as there are brown patches throughout the tree (some near center of tree and on outer leaves of tree) and the tree looks like it is "thinning out" or going bald. What can I do to help this beautiful tree, as I think it may have been planted for 3-7 years, but am new to this house and unsure, How can I help this tree get helathy again and where do I get the materials to help it? Thank you so much.

A picture is needed to be able to help you. A canker is normal. Blight, I don't know. And it's also normal for evergreens to get brown at this time of year near the trunks. It's there way of shedding leaves. If the tips of the branches were browning that would indicate a more serious problem. But then again I can't be sure without seeing the tree.

Adrpk said:
. If the tips of the branches were browning that would indicate a more serious problem. But then again I can't be sure without seeing the tree.
or bagworms, or cicadas, or a 100 other things. need pics to help more than just guess at it.
-Ralph

And please include pics of the base, and any info on the installation of these trees. The 3-5 year mark is when many poorly installed trees start showing signs of girdled roots from being planted to deep, & wire baskets and other packing material choking the trunks from not being removed at install time.

If your tree is a Cupressus Leylandii

123 said:
Please help--I believe the tree may be diseased--it is a leyland cypress tree with possible canker or blight disease, as there are brown patches throughout the tree (some near center of tree and on outer leaves of tree) and the tree looks like it is "thinning out" or going bald. What can I do to help this beautiful tree, as I think it may have been planted for 3-7 years, but am new to this house and unsure, How can I help this tree get helathy again and where do I get the materials to help it? Thank you so much.

If it is actually a Leyland cypress, take a cutting from a blighted or dead section of the tree to your county horticulture lab and have it tested for the fungus (Seridium Cardinale) if it does test positive, then it's a death sentence for your tree, and the responsible and neighborly thing to do is cut it down and either burn or bury it be fore it is spread to any uninfected trees in the area.

The fact of the matter is that the leyland cypress is a poor choice of tree for anywhere in the southern half of the US because of it's susceptability to cypress canker and eventual death.

Replant with a Cupressus Arizonica, it is far less susceptable to the fungus that causes cypress canker.

Don't waste money on any arborist that says he can save the tree, if the test is positive, and it pretty much invariably is, the tree is toast.

Good luck,

jomoco

Leyland Cypress are miserable trees. I have some, and if it's not bagworms that are denuding them like agent orange, it's some kind of fungus.

I swear, I must spend $100 per year on Dursban and Malathion to keep them alive...but those days are coming to an end.

I've given up on mine and when they die, I'm replacing them with Thuja x "Green Giant"

seiridium can be treated with phosphite, and excising the cankers if they are few and small. OPtherwise if it;'s advanced it cannot be treated successfully. There was an article on this disease in the last Arborist News.

I agree they are mediocre trees but can enhance an urban environment quickly if that is the purpose. I planted several at my prevoius home to provide a quick screen . After 2 years they developed a a fungus probelm. I treated them with something I bought at the garden center for fungus a few times over about two years. I think more importantly I made sure they got zero additional water from the sprinklers and removed all mulch from under the trees and kept everything scrupulously clean under them. they were pretty sick looking believe me. Ten years later they are 25 ft and looking good. Just one success story. Here in virginia I would keep them dry,dry, dry with minimal mulch.

Back