Please help me ID this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Please help me ID this wood thanks **** Pics added***

Please help me ID this wood

Please let me know if you need more pics. I took another one but it was out of focus.

I'm having trouble telling the difference between Ash and Box Alder from the bark. I'm new to IDing wood/trees. I'm trying to get a face cord together to put on CL to get a little more cash.

Thanks

Dan

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The end grain looks like soft wood to me. If you think it is one of the 2, then I would say you have box elder there not Ash.

Cottonwood ?

Kind of looks like Cottonwood, real soft and lite wood.

Whatever it is, it will burn pretty fast.

I'm on the boat with Elm with this one. That was the thought from the first picture. the bark cinched it for me.

Seems like the bark on a Box Elder is more 'chunky' or blocky. BE is one of the trees that I just don't see around here. Shame too, a friend of mine turns wood and has been asking for some for 2 years. I met him exactly 2 weeks after I finished burning 1/2 cord of unknown shoulder wood with red stains and streaks. Been looking for more since then.

I'm on the boat with Elm with this one. That was the thought from the first picture. the bark cinched it for me.

Seems like the bark on a Box Elder is more 'chunky' or blocky. BE is one of the trees that I just don't see around here. Shame too, a friend of mine turns wood and has been asking for some for 2 years. I met him exactly 2 weeks after I finished burning 1/2 cord of unknown shoulder wood with red stains and streaks. Been looking for more since then.

I just returned from Boxelder country;wish I had known, but I'll grab you some next trip up.Nice to know the stuff is good for something other than bonfires.

I've seem some of his work with it making vessels, bowls and and what-nots. Really some nice pieces of pretty wood.

I'm in no hurry for any but I would make the drive to Wichita after it when you do bring back some. Thanks !

Back