please help me quote this HUGE tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, c'mon, seer. It's not Wal-Mart rope, it's Home Depot! Get it right!

:laugh:

Was that really the best you could do, treeminator? :rolleyes:

Looks like Ficus benjamina, the type some home-owner wanted to keep big bonzai'd in their front lawn.

It's rare to see them uprooted, or is that just vines and junk?

I'm allergic to the sap of those, they piss out white latex, I break out in itchy rash for atleast 2 weeks, you wont know till the next day though.

Frankly, looks like bags of room for any machinery, cranes, bucket trucks etc, so bid your style. I hate climbing them coz latex sap covers ya so I'd be using a bucket truck to get it half size then craning the bottoms.

Make sure you have two good saws ready for those base cuts coz they're full of dirt. And with a crane clock ticking away you dont want to waste time sharpening a saw.

Around these parts it's go for between $3k and $4k, the stump grind could be $500 but depends on how deep and how many surface roots.

I'd have an 18" chipper sitting there which would eat most of it.

No biggie really, you know you'd knock it off in a day so quote a day rate + the additional equip etc.

Also, I'd suggest to the customer that the tree stump be poisoned and ground a week later to prevent suckers coming up.

Roots etc that may be under the house could get termites too so a termite treatment of the tree by some type of systemic chemical would be advisable prior to the take down. some guys here prefer to poison the stump, others the whole tree.

Ekka said:
Looks like Ficus benjamina, the type some home-owner wanted to keep big bonzai'd in their front lawn.

It's rare to see them uprooted, or is that just vines and junk?

I'm allergic to the sap of those, they piss out white latex, I break out in itchy rash for atleast 2 weeks, you wont know till the next day though.

Frankly, looks like bags of room for any machinery, cranes, bucket trucks etc, so bid your style. I hate climbing them coz latex sap covers ya so I'd be using a bucket truck to get it half size then craning the bottoms.

Make sure you have two good saws ready for those base cuts coz they're full of dirt. And with a crane clock ticking away you dont want to waste time sharpening a saw.

Around these parts it's go for between $3k and $4k, the stump grind could be $500 but depends on how deep and how many surface roots.

I'd have an 18" chipper sitting there which would eat most of it.

No biggie really, you know you'd knock it off in a day so quote a day rate + the additional equip etc.

Also, I'd suggest to the customer that the tree stump be poisoned and ground a week later to prevent suckers coming up.

Roots etc that may be under the house could get termites too so a termite treatment of the tree by some type of systemic chemical would be advisable prior to the take down. some guys here prefer to poison the stump, others the whole tree.

thank you for the "real" response. i appreciate it. seems it's hard to get a legit answer from everyone at this website.
i'm thinking...bucket truck + sub out the stump to someone with a large tow behind stump grinder.

maybe even a knuckle boom truck. how much weight can you move using a bucket truck's arm?

If....
You don't know what it is...and
You don't know how to price it....and
You don't know how to remove a large stump....

Perhaps you should tell the owner that the job is beyond you.
( Gaining some knowledge and expanding your capabilities is a good thing but trying to learn everything just prior to performing tends to not work well at all.)

Stumper said:
If....
You don't know what it is...and
You don't know how to price it....and
You don't know how to remove a large stump....

Perhaps you should tell the owner that the job is beyond you.
( Gaining some knowledge and expanding your capabilities is a good thing but trying to learn everything just prior to performing tends to not work well at all.)

i can do this removal, no problem, even if i had to climb every branch. i'm just trying to figure out the most cost-effective way so i can bid below my competition.

Treeinnovator said:
i can do this removal, no problem, even if i had to climb every branch. i'm just trying to figure out the most cost-effective way so i can bid below my competition.

Hmmm.... You are still Clueless.

This I gotta see. Be sure to post pics of the job if you land it. Close ups of your gear, rigging, life support, chain saws, would be good so we can see how to run a professional,profitable and safe business.

rbtree said:
This I gotta see. Be sure to post pics of the job if you land it. Close ups of your gear, rigging, life support, chain saws, would be good so we can see how to run a professional,profitable and safe business.

you know... i might just do that. just to show you guys i am the real deal.

and to the mods, i'm not going to promote any unsafe operations under this moniker so don't worry about that part.

Treeinnovator said:
you know... i might just do that. just to show you guys i am the real deal.

and to the mods, i'm not going to promote any unsafe operations under this moniker so don't worry about that part.

So........ you have more than one or you had one previously? :notrolls2:

So if you're in that area howcome you don't know what kind of tree it is?
If you did you'd know you have to include the cost of at least one saw in your bid, plus five sets of clothing plus a gallon of latex remover, plus, plus, plus!!
Definitely a ficus, Ekka's right , they PEE latex when you cut 'em.

Smokindodgew101 said:
So........ you have more than one or you had one previously? :notrolls2:

i had to make a new one because my other was banned. long story.

Bermie said:
So if you're in that area howcome you don't know what kind of tree it is?
If you did you'd know you have to include the cost of at least one saw in your bid, plus five sets of clothing plus a gallon of latex remover, plus, plus, plus!!
Definitely a ficus, Ekka's right , they PEE latex when you cut 'em.

i did know. i said "ficus". it was the other guy who said i didn't know what kind of tree it was. Bermie, they (especially Clearance) like to try and set me up.
anyways, yeah they are nasty with all the sticky sap. i still have latex stuff in my hair from a ficus job 3 days ago.

Treeinnovator said:
i had to make a new one because my other was banned. long story.
Funny story, c'mon tard, say something stupid again for us. See if you can get banned again, maybe something about 1/4 inch rope from Homo-Depot.

04ultra said:
DDM how can this be?? When your banned you can come back as someone else..

WOW I think rule #18 rings a bell.. :hmm3grin2orange:

i already announced i will not be posting my methods or any that might be considered unsafe or "innovative".

Latest posts

Back