Please Help with Mountain Ash Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your tree, but I think you need to call the local police and tell them what you've just told us. They may have some knowledge of this individual already. At the very least I would think they'd be interested in hearing your story.

As far as the tree goes, way too close to the house. By about 30 or 40 feet, at least! All kinds of structural and cosmetic damage just waiting to happen. I'm the guy who does those types of repairs and believe me they're not cheap. A good rule of thumb for planting near a house is to plant at least as far from the house as you're going to let it grow tall.

If you want to plant more, most pine trees will grow a foot or more per year. A linden tree will grow like that as well and looks something like a maple. Black locust has a similar growth rate but they have thorns. :msp_rolleyes: JMO.

One of my neighbor's called the police, and they've been driving by a few times. Still having a little trouble sleeping, but I've never been afraid before, so I'm trying not to be now.

I'm trying to figure out what to plant for fast shade. I was looking at what type of Maple tree I have (it flower's) and I stumbled upon a lot pictures of trees planted next to the house. There must be a lot of people like me to keep you busy! I don't think I want a tree with thorns. I must be impatient, but it seems to me like it takes a pine tree forever to grow? I never realized that they are fast growing.

Thank you for your concern and help. :smile2:

i also agree with ath as well. i would have some concerns for you and i also agree that you should call the athoritys on this man oppening up the trees and pulling all the flowers dose sound peeping tom ish no pun intendes sench he said his name was tom. not trying to scare you but be proactive for your sake and peace of mind. as fare as fast growing trees go birtch would be good but i do remember about 13 years ago when i lived in the lower pininsula there was a bad case of birch bark beetle or paper barck birch bettle cant remember what thay were called for shure wiped a lot of them out. your local city arborist or biologist should be able to tell you if thay are still a problem. dont know how thay would do in your area but aspen or cotton wood may work as well but a warning cotton wood as the name says will let off what looks like cotton. any one please charme in if these trees may work in that area of the country and about the beetles it was a wile ago and i would like to know just for the knowlage.

You are right. It is like a peeping tom because of the way he cleared thing's. It gives him the ability to see all my windows.

I talked to my neighbor's who happen to be Native American Indian's and they said that all the Birch tree's are dead or dying. They said that they are really sacred to them and that they use them in ceremonies. I had to laugh because one of them said that Birch is hard to burn, and the other one said if you'd take it inside to dry it out, it wouldn't be. :msp_biggrin:

I'll have to look at what a cotton wood is. Thanks. :smile2:

Sounds like its time to get a gun and keep your eye out for this creep.

My Mom said the exact same thing. But then I'd need to find someone to shoot it! I don't know if I have it in me to kill someone. Ask me again though, when someone has broken into my house. I did get a few night lights. Go ahead and laugh at me, everybody else has. :smile2:

Mine is a white birch, now 18" diameter DBH. Guestimate about 25-30 year old. Second one I planted. Some bug got to the first one and killed the top. Mine is also a great example of planting a small potted tree too close to the house. About 15' away. Well, it "looked" about right when it was a sapling :( . Very nice shade and shades the entir west side of the great room.

Harry K

I think I should stay away from a white birch after everything I've found out. I now think that my Maple tree might be too close to the house! :msp_rolleyes: It was here when I moved in. Do you know anything about a hybrid Poplar tree? There are good and bad reviews about them. It's supposed to be fast growing. One of my neighbor's has a Willow tree that she planted a couple of years ago and it has grown really fast. I've always heard negative things about them though. Are they a good tree to consider?

I think I should stay away from a white birch after everything I've found out. I now think that my Maple tree might be too close to the house! :msp_rolleyes: It was here when I moved in. Do you know anything about a hybrid Poplar tree? There are good and bad reviews about them. It's supposed to be fast growing. One of my neighbor's has a Willow tree that she planted a couple of years ago and it has grown really fast. I've always heard negative things about them though. Are they a good tree to consider?

I can't give much real advice, mostly personal prejudiece.

Maples - If I were a dictator I would ban most maples from being planted itn a city due to the leaf problem. I love the looks, hate the leaves. I do have 2 left at my place that were planted by the original owner.
Willow - nice tree, grows fast, grows big and dies young. Also a messy tree, especially the weeping type.
Hybrid Poplar - I see a lot of them planted aroundnew houses in he country. Dunno about he city. Nice tree but not much for shade as it is more a columnar form vice spreading canopy.

You can get some good professional advice talking to nursery people, county extension agent (ifyou have one), etc.

Harry K

I can't give much real advice, mostly personal prejudiece.

Maples - If I were a dictator I would ban most maples from being planted itn a city due to the leaf problem. I love the looks, hate the leaves. I do have 2 left at my place that were planted by the original owner.
Willow - nice tree, grows fast, grows big and dies young. Also a messy tree, especially the weeping type.
Hybrid Poplar - I see a lot of them planted aroundnew houses in he country. Dunno about he city. Nice tree but not much for shade as it is more a columnar form vice spreading canopy.

You can get some good professional advice talking to nursery people, county extension agent (ifyou have one), etc.

Harry K

I'm sure all of the Maples are breathing a sigh of relief since you're not a dictator. :smile2: I use all the leaves from mine to cover my plants for the winter, so they do have a purpose. At least in my yard.

The Willow tree is the weeping type. It's pretty, but after what you shared, it's off my list. So is the Hybrid Poplar. I'm more interested in a tree that will provide shade. Maybe I'll just plant another Mountain Ash. It was so pretty and grew a lot faster than my Maple tree. Plus it has flowers and the berries for the birds. I took your advice and contacted someone at a nursery located close to me. They recommended that I wait until at least fall, or even spring to plant a new tree. That gives me way too much time to consider just one tree. I might end up with four!

Thank you for your help.:smile2:

I see a resemblance..... :msp_tongue:

floor-hat-rack-stands-i18.jpg

You might want to be careful. I researched online what my tree is. I read that I can make magic wand's from the branches, and as you can see, I have plenty of them handy. :msp_tongue:

In Scotland the old tradition is to have Mountain Ash/Rowan/Sorbus Aucuparia outside houses to keep the witches away. it seemed to work too

Thank you for sharing this information. May I please ask, how do you know it seemed to work to keep the witches away?

Didnt see any! :)

We lived near the Peely Ring in Lumphanun which is where Shakespeare's Macbeth witches were supposed to be in the play intro.

Its a spooky place at night and so are the burial cairns dotted about

Latest posts

Back