Please keep yourself safe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhc2widow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum. I have already posted my story on the fatalities board, but want to make sure as many people as possible see this.

Many of you, I am sure, travel using small aircraft such as the Beaver to get to your job sites. My husband was like you. Over twenty years ago he started as a faller, then went and got his scaler's license. He got a great reputation, well respected by just about everyone he ever worked with. Some of you probably knew him. His name was Dave Stevens, and just over three years ago, we moved to Campbell River BC where he had started working Quality Control for Interfor's Coastal Operations. He was a contractor, of course.

On the 28th of February, 2005 the float-equipped Beaver that was supposed to take him into Frances Bay to scale for an hour, "disappeared".

Now, you have to understand, Dave had had scares before - slipping off logs into the water, frightening trips into camp in bad weather or with inexperienced pilots - and he always wore his floater coat. The week before the accident, he had taken the classroom portion of the underwater egress course (the pool part was postponed because the engineers also taking the course had to go into camp).

We were still national news when his body was found on March 2nd, not ten kilometres from home. His autopsy showed that he had no serious injuries, but had suffered extensively from hypothermia before slowly drowning. Rescue never came despite being within sight of Quadra Island and in an area of constant marine/air traffic.

But the next day, four RCMP officers were killed in Alberta, and the four men still missing were virtually forgetten. The official search was quickly disbanded and the families were left without answeres.

More information is available on our website, www.questforjustice.ca, including a link to "How you can stay safe" if you fly.

Because we have been so disappointed with the official government investigations and explanations for the accident, we have been on an incredible learning curve. We want the public, especially our West Coast Loggers, to be aware of what has (or hasn't) happened. We want to make sure you know that if you are injured or killed on the job because your boss is negligent - your family will have no recourse. The Worker's Compensation Act (in Canada) protects anyone insured by WCB/OH&S from being sued by anyone also insured by WCB/OH&S. The RCMP will not recommend charges to the prosecutor.

We have also begun a petition, which you can read and sign here: Five Deaths Demand Justice Petition. Your support would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and please, stay safe.

Kirsten Stevens

No recourse is basically true, your woman will get a survivors (widows) benefit if you are married or have been common law for over two years, kind of BS about the two years, 'cause everything else is six months! The Workers Compensation Board of British Columbia, now renamed Worksafe B.C. is not there for the worker or the employer in most cases, they are there for themselves. It was a good idea in the beginning, and some of the people that work there are decent, but there are lots of heartless scumbags there as well. It is a matter of fact, sleazy for a long time. Before I was born, the premier, W.A.C. Bennet appointed a royal commision to investigate them, I think in '62, or so. Injured workers used to get 75% of thier gross pay, now they get 90% of 75% of thier gross pay, other new changes include one appeal, basically a rubber stamp no, in a star chamber. I have been hurt bad enough to take time off three times in 22 years, no b.s. ever-blood all over, or woke up in the hospital type of thing, and they still question you like you are faking it. Basically if you can't work you are at thier mercy, the doctors that work for them are about as independent as a baby sucking its mommas breast. Thank Christ I am basically alright, many are not, don't have a pack of lawyers to help them, are screwed over by the outfit that is supposed to help them. Thanks for bring this up Kirsten, look out for yourselves guys.

Just to let you all know, I have just had contact from Steve Hunt, the Western Director of the United Steelworkers ... the USW will be supporting this petition, and assisting us in ensuring a wide distribution.

To add to the "issue" of death benefits ... if you do not have dependants, no one will "pay". Canada's Family Compensation Act does not provide financial restitution to those unable to prove a financial dependance, or expectation thereof. In other words, if you haven't had a partner for two years, or if you have no children - they'll pay for your funeral. How nice.

I would be very interested in hearing from those of you in the US and how your system compares to ours. I hope to affect change, and the more I know, the more valuable my efforts can be.

Thanks,

Kirsten S.

Latest posts

Back