Plumbing for hot water baseboard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice or experiance in plumbing the OWB into my exsisting hot water base board system. Anyone with photos or advice on hooking up the heat exchanger would be great!

thanks,
steve

baseboard heat is a closed loop system under pressure. an OWB uses an open loop without pressure. how would you tie the two together? i believe we had a thread here about that at one time.

heat exchanger

Right .. I am putting in a 50 plate water to water heat exchanger yto keep the two systems seperate... looking for someone that has put one in for advice!!

Right .. I am putting in a 50 plate water to water heat exchanger yto keep the two systems seperate... looking for someone that has put one in for advice!!

there was a thread here where someone had a system tied together. i can't remember which one it was, but i'm sure that person will come along.....

http://www.**********http://www.**********
Has a lot of folks with OWB's.You might want to
check in there as well, go to the "Boiler Room" forum.
:cheers:

Last edited:
I have an OWB that is plumbed straight into my baseboard heat. Just circulating pumps wired to the thermostats and it runs fine. Granted, it was all put in together at the same time. I did not have an existing boiler to tie into.

Sam

Also...heatinghelp.com. Master of Sparks may see this thread and post his recommendations. Make sure the HX is sized properly, should work fine.

i have a cb and have it plumbed into my baseboard heat. it depends on your house boiler and the piping set-up you have whether or not it will work. basically i added a control valve that opens when my house boiler pump kicks on off the house thermostat and allows water to flow within the system and back out to the boiler. otherwise its just bypassing the system at that control valve and going back out to the boiler. i also set my house aquastat down to 120 degrees for back-up protection. and my automatic water supply to the house system is closed.

Last edited:
If your using a plate heat exchanger your wood boiler will flow through one side of it. The other side will circulate through your house boiler with a seperate circulator and keep your house boiler at the temp you set 180 to 190. Make sure that you make the flow direction on both sides of the heat exchanger flow in opposite directions to get the best heat exchange. I'll take some pics of my set up and post them after the weekend. It's really easy.

My c.b. is tied directly into my Welles-McClain boiler,water circulates through the boiler in the basement and back out to the c.b. When one of the therostats calls for heat,the zone valve opens up,the circulating pumo kicks on and puts heat to that area just like the house boiler would.I put 2 valves in(inlet and return)so that I couyld switch back to a pressurised system if I need to,otherwise,I run an unpresserised system with it venting to the c.b.,s rrooftop vent.The only other thing I did was put a backflow valve (checkvalve) in my auto fill line to keep my boiler antifreeze out of my domestic water.When using the c.b.,Ishut the auto fill line off also

Sorry for the delay on posting. Been busy plumbing. So here it is. It may just look like a bunch of pipes but the right side of the heat plate is from the wood boiler and the left side goes to my house boiler. Both flow in opposite directions through the heat plate. there are many ways to do it this was just my way it's no better than any other.
DSCN2969.jpg

nice to see when people wipe those joints after soldering.

gives it a nice clean professional look.:clap:

Isn't that the only way? Thanks for noticing.:greenchainsaw:

i'm no plumber by trade, but when i do my own soldering, i do my best to make it look professional.

i've seen some real horrible soldering jobs, as i'm sure you have as well.

but, again...nice clean job there.

plumbing help

I can't thank you enough for the photo .. just what I wated. Hope you don't mind a few more questions. I am not a plumber so bare with me ... and I have just bought my furnace .. have not bought the heat exchanger or underground pipe yet.. getting my ducks in order.

anyway .. I am surprised to see copper used in the whole thing... I was thinking copper for reg boiler side and pex for OWB side.. but then again I have never used pex. I was happy to see you could mount the heat exchanger as you did .. hope the one I buy will have the hardware to be able to mount it. I was lamenting a exchanger bypass on the furnace side as it looks like you did so in the summer when I am not running the OWB I do not have to run the furnace water through the exchanger. What is the pipe ontop looking like it connects the furnace and the OWB sides .. that has me confused? The gauge on the OWB side .. what is that for? thanks again for the help!!

steve

Latest posts

Back