PM chain and rakers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

precaud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, ok, the picco micro "safety" chain isn't well-liked around here. But I have several new loops of it and don't want to chuck them. So here's the question: Is it reasonable to compensate for it's unaggressive profile by lowering the rakers a bit? Any danger in doing so?

Depends...

The guys around here are pretty friggin discriminating - what they tend to demand is typically far and away beyond what most typical homeowner/weekend warrior types would find as acceptable.

That said, "does the chain's cutting characteristics satisfy YOU?" If it does, keep it at recommended spec.

If it's the double-humped tie strap chain, I think you'd have to drop those as well to get much improved bite. That would take considerable effort as compared to just working an hour overtime and buying a better chain.

I, for one, prefer to make something work or at least improve it but I think the general consensus here would be to upgrade the chain and be done with it. I can't say I'd disagree.

Assuming we are talking PM2 (double hump).. Just use them up as is - they are not all that bad...... but if you want to spend the time to "convert them" be sure to only grind on the hump portion, NOT the raker... You need the raker set to the correct depth for the chain to cut smoothly and safely.

The new PMC3 chain is safety rated and cuts almost as good as the PMC version.

bump_r said:
The guys around here are pretty friggin discriminating - what they tend to demand is typically far and away beyond what most typical homeowner/weekend warrior types would find as acceptable.

Understood.

That said, "does the chain's cutting characteristics satisfy YOU?" If it does, keep it at recommended spec.

I think we both know... EVERYTHING is satisfying until you experience something better! (the mind wanders to past girlfriends...)

I, for one, prefer to make something work or at least improve it

I'm definitely that type, too. Plus... I have 3 new loops of the stuff so I may as well use it.

I'll try your suggestion of lowering the humps a bit. And may take the rakers down a bit, too, since I cut only softwood (pine, pinon.) Something in the .030-.035 range, maybe?

Lakeside53 said:
Assuming we are talking PM2 (double hump).. Just use them up as is - they are not all that bad......
Yes, it's the PM2 (green link). Guess I'll just use them. They've been quite rugged...

Precaud,

What are you doing posting about stinking chain - - I'm anxiously awating Part Two on the stove....

Thanks,

Jim

5555555 said:
What are you doing posting about stinking chain - - I'm anxiously awating Part Two on the stove....

Hey - I don't know nuthin about no stinkin stove... :ices_rofl:

I'm working on it... probably finish it this weekend.

(his anonymity destoyed... :Eye: )

Can't you just trade it out at the dealer for what you want? maybe pay a small difference?
-Ralph

hell, in that case, run it, or use it on diry wood to save your good chain!
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back