Pole saw recommendation and review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Pole Saw (that you've used) would you recommend? and Pro/Con

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Our Scout Troop has taken on some forest restoration and invasive abatement and my "home owner" grade pole saw may warrant significant upgrade.

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day cutting out invasive bush honeysuckle and vines along a section of land used by our Church for Spiritual Development and meditation. The Ryobi click system was not purchased by choice but what was offered as a warranty replacement for the previous POS string trimmer that I had. I purchased the pole saw attachment because I thought it would be useful but the steel extensions sections feel really heavy at the end of the day.

I am courting an telescoping powered pole pruner. Gas not electric... unless Milwaukee comes out with one then it will warrant batteries that I can use with other tools.

I am looking for max length and MIN weight for the money. Back roll would like to stay under 6-Franklins. Are the length measurements given to tip of guide bar or pole PTO?

I went to the Stihl website and read some of the reviews on the HT-133. More bad reviews than good.

I have an HT-131 that is now a couple of years old. I've used it only a handful of times, and so far, so good. I do handle it with kid gloves though, as I've heard that they can be fragile and very hard to repair.

Mine only gets used when nothing else will suffice. I do like the 4-mix motor. Lots of torque! Easy starting as well. Probably the easiest starting piece of O P E that I own. And, it idles like it's no one's business. Purrs like a kitten. :)

I have the earlier equivelant of the Stihl ht133. Mine uses the .043 gauge 3/8 picco. Apparently the modern one comes with their mini 1/4 chain. Make your own decision on that chain type and if a sprocket and bar and chain for something with larger drive links might be better suited (less derailing?) It really is too long for what I think you describe, and only really pulls out another 4 feet. It does start and idle nice but the fumes are not as nice as a true four stroke with separate oil. It is pretty heavy as with any of them it is pretty easy to have the cut off piece come sliding down the shaft and hit the operator often in the face area.

Best to do as much of that type of stuff in the winter or cooler months before stinging insects come out. Does Kentucky mean poison ivy and Kudzu?

Burn out your homeowner grade one, perhaps pack the gears with grease, and wait for Milwaukee to make a battery one.

You could check but I think the Echo one rates it for an additional extension piece as well as the telescoping feature if you really want reach. The Stihl one I have is at the limit of floppy extended in my opinion.

4a1f1cdccb1413041136049ad5af69ca.jpg

PPT-280

I've had good luck with Echo. I've got a little cs-306 that runs like a rabid beaver but that particular pole saw is a bit more spendy $$ than I was hoping for. It's definitely got the reach and no doubt high quality.

One of the reviews on the Husky mention rough idle and vibration. Is there anything to that or just someone not familiar to running much more than a computer mouse or their wife's battery operated appliance? Most of my saws are Stihl and a Husky in the mix would be quite the step child. The Stihl HT-103 & HT-133 have cheep looking motor housings like the homeowner stuff and I shy away from anything that looks like it was made by Mattel. Echo and Husky are looking up unless the HT-250 has an accessory shaft to convert if from fixed to telescopic.

This next phase of our forest reclamation/restoration may not take place until late summer, early fall, whenever the next Eagle Scout project rolls around. I may just run my P.O.S. Ryobi until it dies then "pony up" for a "big boy" saw.

I've had good luck with Echo. I've got a little cs-306 that runs like a rabid beaver but that particular pole saw is a bit more spendy $$ than I was hoping for. It's definitely got the reach and no doubt high quality.

One of the reviews on the Husky mention rough idle and vibration. Is there anything to that or just someone not familiar to running much more than a computer mouse or their wife's battery operated appliance? Most of my saws are Stihl and a Husky in the mix would be quite the step child. The Stihl HT-103 & HT-133 have cheep looking motor housings like the homeowner stuff and I shy away from anything that looks like it was made by Mattel. Echo and Husky are looking up unless the HT-250 has an accessory shaft to convert if from fixed to telescopic.

This next phase of our forest reclamation/restoration may not take place until late summer, early fall, whenever the next Eagle Scout project rolls around. I may just run my P.O.S. Ryobi until it dies then "pony up" for a "big boy" saw.

Stay Away from the Husky Pole Saws: the shaft on ours came apart after very light use.

After paying to have it repaired, I bought the ECHO.

Anyone have an Efco 27cc PTX2710 Pro Polesaw ?

The head rotates which would be very beneficial working exclusively from the ground.

"The head rotates which would be very beneficial working exclusively from the ground."

Sounds like something else to tear up.

Anyone have an Efco 27cc PTX2710 Pro Polesaw ?

The head rotates which would be very beneficial working exclusively from the ground.

I got the non extendable version a few years ago after deciding the Stihl one was too cumbersome for most of my needs. The worst problem is that it jumps around and does not dig in and cut. Kind on need to jam it against the thing to be cut which often isn't possible or carefully use the nose section to get some different cutting properties. Another issue is that It is the most fussy about tuning and needing to readjust of anything I have or have had. At least no damage occurs when it flames out, kind of contrary to all the talk on here about damage from going too lean. Perhaps the bouncy issue is due to the sizeable solid steel drive shaft and the rubber mounting of the power head. Perhaps the problem is the offset of the chain from the shaft. Perhaps the issue is that the sprocket seems not on a shaft with two bearings spaced apart the way It looks to me on the parts sheets. The sprocket should be replaced if worn out by a servicing dealer according to the manual and likely needs more disassembly than anything else on your list. 39 drive link chain is kind of a dumb number, 40 does not make it any smoother. It works great as a hedge trimmer and for some reason has not needed constant retuning while attached to that attachment
I hardly ever tried the tilting end.

P1010100.JPG

"The head rotates which would be very beneficial working exclusively from the ground."

Sounds like something else to tear up.
Not really any more than a hedge trimmer that can adjust.

Echo bang for the buck you can't beat them. Even the PAS 225 with the power pruner, if you need a little more reach 3ft extension can be added. Affordable, extremely reliable, light weight, not telescopic though..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I personally like the kombi system because of all the flexibility. I've put a 16" bar and chain on for vine and brush clearing and 12" for larger limbs and bucking. With 2 extensions and the angled head attachment you can get longer reach than the other pole saws.

I went to the Stihl website and read some of the reviews on the HT-133. More bad reviews than good.

I have an HT-131 that is now a couple of years old. I've used it only a handful of times, and so far, so good. I do handle it with kid gloves though, as I've heard that they can be fragile and very hard to repair.

Mine only gets used when nothing else will suffice. I do like the 4-mix motor. Lots of torque! Easy starting as well. Probably the easiest starting piece of O P E that I own. And, it idles like it's no one's business. Purrs like a kitten. :)

I like the Stihls and they have always performed well for me. This saw weighs 17.6 lbs and is 9' collapsed and extends another 4 foot to get to 13.6 full length. the stated reach is only 11.6 (from the handle where you hold on).

I know this model wasn't on your list, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Stihl HT56-ce. Gave one to my father-in-law for Christmas, he has used the hell out of it (not gentle at all) and it has never skipped a beat. Starts easy, cuts great, and breaks down for easy transport. Several of my friends have this model as well, and they have had zero issues. I think it's a steal at $350ht_56_ce_new_homeowner_pole_pruner_from_stihl.png

My pup bed is 8’. That would be good if could lay flat. Is it a two stroke? What are your likes and dislikes?

I’ll try to remember to measure it tomorrow.

It is 2 stroke.

The only gripe about it I have is that the wiring could be better maintained at the Power head.

It’s not caused a problem & I doubt it ever will, but you’d think for the kind of coin a PPT-280 cost, all that would be better managed.

It will wear your grass out of you run one all day: I feel beat down after about 5-6 hrs on the stick saw.

Latest posts

Back