Pole Saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my HT131, and have found the pole quite durable (I've pressure tested it!). Great torque, but heavy!

I can't believe all the folks that took the time to respond to this thread and offer an opinion. My daughter took my wife and me out to dinner at a restaurant run by a chef she knows that uses the beef that comes off the farm where she works and then we visited the farm to see the new lambs that were just born so I've been away from the computer for awhile. And, I think that's the longest run-on sentence I ever wrote.
Anyway, I have a manual pole saw and the branches I need to work on are all about 12-14 inches in diameter and just around the limits of the saws reach. It takes a lot of tugging on the pole to bring a branch like that down. I guess that's why we use power chainsaws instead of bucking branches with a two-man whipsaw.
The dealer suggested an Echo that has a 12 foot reach for about $600. I still haven't checked or priced a Stihl and i would like to check on a Husky. I have two Husky chainsaws and three Echos and the Huskys have the power but the Echos are the easiest to start and the easiest to use.
I'll let you know what I decide and why and hope to be able to tell you how happy I am with my decision. First, I think I'll measure to the biggest branch and see how high up I am.
Thanks again for all the responses.

If you need to routinely cut 14" with a polesaw, you'll probably need (or wish you had) a HT131

Last edited:
If you need to routinely cut 14" with a polesaw, you'll probably need (or with you had) a HT131

yes. The torque on the stihl 4 mix engines is going to be much better on wood that size. The under 30cc 2 strokes are going to be very underpowered for what you are describing.

If I had to cut a whole bunch of 14" limbs 12 feet up I would be using a regular saw and renting a boom lift

I've been working as an inspector with tree crews clearing trees around jug handles on the Interstates. To do the trimming, they often use pole saws. The crew mostly uses Stihl because they claim that they are more durable - Husky didn't work out for them.
I was doing some splitting and looking out over the garden and noticed several branches from the Sweetgum, Maples, and Walnuts are hanging out over the garden. I was getting ready to rev up my tophandle Echo and do some climbing when my wife reminded me that I'm a little too old and arthritic to be doing that stuff. I really don't like working off a ladder - had top many questionable experiences.
Then I had the thought - why don't you just get a pole saw. I think I can reach most of the stuff I'm concerned about with a 12 foot or so saw and I would be willing to go up on a short and stable step ladder to get a little height advantage if I needed it.
My favorite local dealer carries Husqvarna and Echo. My not so favored dealer carries Stihl. I called the Husqvarna/Echo dealer and they will be getting some Echo extendable pole saws in a few days.
My question is, should I get the Echo - a PPT266H if I understood the person on the phone correctly - or, should I contact the knows better than everybody Stihl dealer and inquire about a Stihl Saw. I probably will anyway but, I thought i would get some opinions. Price is a consideration but I'm more concerned about dealer service. I trust the Echo guys.
Okay guys - give me your opinions and advice.

Where are you in central jersey I live in Englishtown. I could give you a hand for some gas money :rock:

I have a Stihl HT101 it reaches like 12-14 feet on its own plus me holding it 5-7.5 feet in the air adds to it. Or you could come and try it out if you want, I have a lot of trees that need to be limbed along my fence line lol.

Though it would be atleast a week before I would be able to do it. I messed my self up pretty bad, and hurt my shoulder and neck and twisted 3-4 vertebrae of my spine 45 degrees to the right.

Last edited:
yes. The torque on the stihl 4 mix engines is going to be much better on wood that size. The under 30cc 2 strokes are going to be very underpowered for what you are describing.

If I had to cut a whole bunch of 14" limbs 12 feet up I would be using a regular saw and renting a boom lift

Thats what I used to trim the monster oak limbs around my house a month before hurricane sandy came through. But I didn't have to rent it my uncle has two of these. This is the one I used.

cc522c4b.jpg

Where are you in central jersey I live in Englishtown. I could give you a hand for some gas money :rock:

I have a Stihl HT101 it reaches like 12-14 feet on its own plus me holding it 5-7.5 feet in the air adds to it. Or you could come and try it out if you want, I have a lot of trees that need to be limbed along my fence line lol.

Though it would be atleast a week before I would be able to do it. I messed my self up pretty bad, and hurt my shoulder and neck and twisted 3-4 vertebrae of my spine 45 degrees to the right.

Ouch! hurts just thinking about it..yep, dont think youll be running that pole saw real soon...someone should get some use from it! the OP should take you up on the offer, come over, trim some of your wood, then go back and cut his branches.

I love my HT131, and have found the pole quite durable (I've pressure tested it!). Great torque, but heavy!

I pinched my HT131 really tight on Friday and had to leave it hanging and see no damage from it.
I had to hand cut it free with a old school pole saw

The HT 131 is indeed heavy, but that eliminates wobble and allows you to spend less time trimming each tree. Until the chain broke in, I had to constantly back off the tension each time I started it, but consider this a safety tool, keeping you from lugging one more sharp instrument up a ladder. It's pricey, but it's a high-quality tool that will serve you decades if maintained.

I've borrowed a friends ht131 several times. Have cut numerous 10-16" limbs with ease, seems to chew right through with very little throttle or effort. It is heavy and your shoulders know it the next day if you do a bunch of cutting. That tool has allowed me to cut stuff down and fall questionable trees with a greater security and comfort. You will probably use it more than you think.

Latest posts

Back