Pole saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Maybe looking at getting one. Will likely only see scattered intermittent use. Who's got the scoop?

I think right now the Stihl HT 56-CE is candidate #1. 27cc, $500. Would be another $350 to step up to the next one (HT101 - 31cc 4Mix).

Same place also has a Husky. It's $750, 25cc. Didn't write the model down, might be a 327.

Was also thinking about the Stihl Kombi setup, but they didn't have one to check out, and I don't think it has much reach or is quite as rugged.

Maybe looking at getting one. Will likely only see scattered intermittent use. Who's got the scoop?

I think right now the Stihl HT 56-CE is candidate #1. 27cc, $500. Would be another $350 to step up to the next one (HT101 - 31cc 4Mix).

Same place also has a Husky. It's $750, 25cc. Didn't write the model down, might be a 327.

Was also thinking about the Stihl Kombi setup, but they didn't have one to check out, and I don't think it has much reach or is quite as rugged.

I use the km90 Kombi system between a eeedeater and pole saw and have the pole saw extension. I really like it actually and have had no issues. The only thing I wish I had done was fork up the extra $70 and get the largest power head. The 90 works just fine but who doesn't want more power.

HT 131 is a good one.

I have a cub cadet older model and it works fine.
It does not extend but was $75 off craigslist.
Works nice for trim jobs and reaching where I don't want to be sawing up a downed tree.
CHad

third opinion for the HT-131. that 4-mix engine is a real torque monster. first one i bought surprised me how much i had to hang onto it or it'd twist itself out of my hands

I have the Kombi one, and My buddy has the HT 101. i like the Kombi because i can use it for multi use. he likes his because he doesn't have to add it onto anything or find the extension piece when it's needed. but he also has a Kombi and will steal my end when needed haha so he has best of both worlds. I would suggest for the kombi spending the extra on the extension piece and get the Carbon Fibre you would be surprised how much the weight difference is at the end of the day. but if your only using it around the house when needed it's not worth the upgrade.

Can anybody with the Kombi give me an overall length? Say with the extension? Can't find that in the specs.

We've got an FS90 (I think that's what it is) with the 4-Mix, great little engines.

I would but I just left sorry. I'd say maybe 8-10' sound about right? I don't know for certain. I like it for the versatility.

we had good luck with an ECHO power pruner...thing took a beating and cut anything as long as you kept it sharp... but then someone backed over it with a chip truck...sayonara...we bought a stihl after that but i would recommend an ECHO any day for homeowner use...cheers

Just dont let the branch hit it and bend the aluminum shaft. Ask me how I know:eek:
been there, done that... they straighten out fairly well with enough time and persistence. ive twisted off the inside shaft twice and also spiraled the hex on two. they get used hard in tree service work so its sort of expected

we had good luck with an ECHO power pruner...thing took a beating and cut anything as long as you kept it sharp... but then someone backed over it with a chip truck...sayonara...we bought a stihl after that but i would recommend an ECHO any day for homeowner use...cheers
I have serviced the Echo and yes, it is a good power pruner for the money. Stihl HT101 is a really fine piece of equipment at about $600 locally. I've serviced and operated these also.

I don't have a dedicated pole saw, I bought a combination set up from Echo when I needed a string trimmer. The power head is the middle one, of the three they offer. With a four foot extension, it works well and I am happy with it. If you really need the reach, it would not work for you.

Now considering a Kombi setup - but if someone could measure the overall length of theirs, it would be muchly appreciated. :)

Stihl is strangely fuzzy about some certain specs on their website it seems. (Not just them I guess - Husky doesn't list prices either...).

I have an echo pole saw and even though it doesn't get used a lot, it's worth every penny when I do use it. For me, the biggest thing is reach so I bought the one in the shop that had the longest extension.

Do you have a source for parts for Stihl pole saws? I bent the pole on mine and the dealer's price for a replacement pole was only $100 less than a complete new (and supposedly improved) saw.

Now considering a Kombi setup - but if someone could measure the overall length of theirs, it would be muchly appreciated. :)

Stihl is strangely fuzzy about some certain specs on their website it seems. (Not just them I guess - Husky doesn't list prices either...).
I'll get some numbers from mine this weekend after I dig it out.

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Ordered a Kombi setup today. With the KM90 head. They had the saw attachment there, it was about 3', plus another 1' or so for the bar (12" bar). 3' for the extension. Weren't sure about the head unit - guessing maybe another 3'? So maybe 10' overall - guess we'll see when it gets here. Should be longer than the HT56, anyway - and also gets us the 4mix and a more rugged cutter head.

The KM90 has been updated by the KM91. Far as we could tell, the main difference was a bigger gas tank - which would mean a bit more weight, and the gas to chain oil ratio is about 2:1 anyway, so more gas won't really add much benefit. So stuck with the 90. If we were a tree service or Asphlundh, no doubt would go for HT101 or HT131 - but we're not, so we didn't. These suckers are expensive up here, after seeing US prices...

(About the cutter head - all things equal, would a 6 tooth sprocket or 7 tooth sprocket be preferred? Think it has a 6 on it. Chain speed vs. torque?)

Latest posts

Back