pole spikes or tree gaffs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for a little advice. Have a set of steel Buckingham climbers with the long gaffs. When if it all do you switch to the shorter pole spikes? Tree diameter? I'm sure bark thickness is a big factor. Do the shorter ones put less pressure on your ankles? Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

You can get away with pile spikes on some thin barked trees. I have a pair of poke spikes in the truck but i always climb on my 2-3/4" Buckingham spikes anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I use pole spikes on almost everything,not on black locust though . They definitely put less stress on your ankles it's the reason I started using them in the first place. Pole spikes also are no good on super dead punky wood but it only takes 3 minuets to swap out gaffs . I use the buckingham titanium spikes. You just have to figure out which situation calls for which gaff once you know it's simple

I think the brand of spurs make a difference too. I didn't like klein tree gaffs and preferred the pole gaffs. I picked up some geckos and prefer the tree gaffs now.

I use the velcro wrap Bucks with the replaceable long steel gaffs. I had an older pair with the fixed pole gaffs, but hardly if ever used them so i sold them when the new bucks arrived.
They are very solid and comfortable!

Back