Polishing 084 cylinders - Anyone do this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got 2 oem 084 cylinders and an 028 super cylinder all in need of a polish. I know I could get new cylinders, but if I can rescue these oem ones then I would rather do that and just buy meteor piston kits for them.

Now, one great piece of Ancient Greek wisdom I have picked up is "know thyself." I have some strengths, but the patience and care required to do this kind of polishing are, unfortunately, not among them.

Does anyone do this work and, if so, how much should it cost me?

We had a ternader (that's Arkansawyer for "tornado") a couple of months back and I have ended up with a bunch of trees to mill. Getting one of these 084 cylinders in shape would mean another milling saw in the rotation and getting this 028 super I gave a $20 bill for would mean being able to let my dad's old 028 have a well deserved rest for a while.

I know, I know. Pictures. I'll get them up. But I'd like to know first if I can get the work done assuming they are rescue-able.

Are we talking removing transfer from a toasted piston, or polishing the ports? If they’ve got some transfer from a meltdown they can often be saved with some sand paper and scotch brite pads as long as the plating is good.

PS; Great Avatar pic. Now that's what I call "planking".....

View attachment 782545
View attachment 782546

Ever seen the Monty Python movie called "Yellowbeard"? It's great.

HA! Thanks for noticing! Weird thing is, I had stood on that log. I had looked at that log next to my car and truck (the log was bigger). I had MILLED that log. But until I saw this picture, my brain simply could not accept how big those slabs were.

I hadn't thought of the "planking" comparison.

I own copies of the movie Yellowbeard (on VHS and DVD). Hell, I own a movie POSTER from the movie Yellowbeard. I watched that movie a lot as a kid and, when I grew my first peach fuzz as a teen, I ended up getting (kind of on purpose) the nickname.

Are we talking removing transfer from a toasted piston, or polishing the ports? If they’ve got some transfer from a meltdown they can often be saved with some sand paper and scotch brite pads as long as the plating is good.

Toasted piston.

Wouldn`t be worthwhile if paying someone hourly to do it. Cheaper to buy a new cylinder unless they cost over $500 a pop.

OK. So that's worth knowing. Thanks.

Are the Cross Performance parts pretty good? For around 150 bucks, I might just buy a new one. Then I can keep the cylinders I have and think about cleaning them up later.

I have honed 084 cylinders for slight piston transfer. Like all cylinders, you have to watch with the hone as it wants to put a dip on each side of the ports and widen the bottom of the cylinder so it tapers. also, it does not take much material removal to get to the softer metal. Hard on hones too. An indexible hone is expensive.

Latest posts

Back