Polishing the Crank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lightening the flywheel may affect Reserve Torque but the majority of the torque is probability in the chain because of its diameter. on the plane of the bar.

Maximum stored energy, vs. weight and total volume, is usually given only for a thin hoop or solid disk. For practical aspect ratios, it is related to the rim's ID/OD ratio by slightly complicated relationships. The ID/OD dependence (below) was derived by combining the above equations with the integral of the differential expression:

d(Inertia) = (Radius)2 (Rim Density) d(Volume)
This leads to the result:
Max ENERGY = (ID/OD Factor) (Rim Volume) (Max Tensile Stress)

where:

(ID/OD Factor) = (1/4) {1 - (ID/OD)4} / {1 - (ID/OD)2}

From this, we get:

(Max ENERGY) / Weight = (ID/OD Factor) (Max Tensile Stress) / (Rim Density)

and (where Total Volume includes the space inside the rim):

(Max ENERGY) / (Total Volume) = (1/4) {1 - (ID/OD)4} (Max Tensile Stress)

but I don't really know polishing my crank sounds like a good idea right now

It gained it by inertia it says 1.0 somethin horsepower so it seems I'm assuming that is you lose the low end and gain a lot mid-range to top end where someone on a dirt track would keep it.

I wonder if you compare a weighted bike with a stock or lightened bike on the street with street treads who'd win?

Cause you'd get traction on the street keeping from erratic acceleration with a lightened flywheel vs dirt where it's obvious that the traction (engine control) from the weighted flywheel would win.
But then again these little motors have always had a high power band just thought I'd throw it out there though lol

Definitely interesting info though!

Rise time

I really dislike misleading articles like the one above. A flywheel is an energy storing device, it does not make HP.

What these 'technicians' should have done is asked WHY was there an increase in HP. I expect that the engine in question probably had the ignition a bit too far advanced. As the piston moved towards TDC and the ignition sparked, the engine would have to fight against a rapidly expanding chamber pressure.

Without the added flywheel weight the engine would be slowed ever so slightly and peak pressure would be realised BTDC, thus the engine would loose some power by doing more work to compress the gases. By having the extra inertia to overcome the rising pressure the peak of pressure would occur later, perhaps even ATDC.

Note that the effect was greater at peak torque, which is when max volumetric efficiency (faster flame front) occurs.

They could have confirmed the effect to ignition timing by doing another run with a retarded ignition timing. In which case, the bigger flywheel may have produced LESS horsepower as the peak pressure would have occurred later than the light flywheel.

Now a bunch of half-informed readers are going to be running around believing that heavier flywheels make more power - heck, if 10oz is good, why not 10 lbs?

I really dislike misleading articles like the one above. A flywheel is an energy storing device, it does not make HP.

What these 'technicians' should have done is asked WHY was there an increase in HP. I expect that the engine in question probably had the ignition a bit too far advanced. As the piston moved towards TDC and the ignition sparked, the engine would have to fight against a rapidly expanding chamber pressure.

Without the added flywheel weight the engine would be slowed ever so slightly and peak pressure would be realised BTDC, thus the engine would loose some power by doing more work to compress the gases. By having the extra inertia to overcome the rising pressure the peak of pressure would occur later, perhaps even ATDC.

Note that the effect was greater at peak torque, which is when max volumetric efficiency (faster flame front) occurs.

They could have confirmed the effect to ignition timing by doing another run with a retarded ignition timing. In which case, the bigger flywheel may have produced LESS horsepower as the peak pressure would have occurred later than the light flywheel.

Now a bunch of half-informed readers are going to be running around believing that heavier flywheels make more power - heck, if 10oz is good, why not 10 lbs?

I was trying to find something in that test that showed why it was flawed but I didn't see it. I'm going to add a 10lb weight to my camaros flywheel so i can gain some peak horse power.yippee!

I was trying to find something in that test that showed why it was flawed but I didn't see it. I'm going to add a 10lb weight to my camaros flywheel so i can gain some peak horse power.yippee!
it would be quite helpful if you are running square wheels.

Back