Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
I have explained to one of the pack what I do in PM. I would prefer that it did not go into the public for obvious reasons.

Good Day.

-Craig

Hey, its not big deal, you are embarressed about your job, we understand.

The only thing that remains obvious is you don't know what you are talking about. If you are a researcher, you didn't research the EPA very much about modding two stroke chainsaws and their increased or decreased safety as it relates to normal operation. Because there isn't anything in there about a private person doing it or any resulting fines as a result of modding a chainsaw.

Nor do you have any first hand knowledge or experience of such things.

Sam

Craig, I'm a bit late to the party, and I'm not here to sling mud, but you do realize that by using your "fire safe" max flow air filter that your saw is in fact considered a modified saw and is not EPA compliant and is therefore illegal as per your own definition??

I will also add that the stock filter is in fact entirely adequate to supply the necessary air requirements of a stock saw, so why the max flow filter. Doesn’t make much sense to put more air in if you can't get it out.... seems kinda silly for you to risk a run in with the EPA saw police and no real gain to be had.

I don't think folks are taking issue with your preference for modd.... ooops I mean stock saws it's the piety and hypocrisy with which you present your position that has earned such a strong response. :cheers:

Craig, I'm a bit late to the party, and I'm not here to sling mud, but you do realize that by using your "fire safe" max flow air filter that your saw is in fact considered a modified saw and is not EPA compliant and is therefore illegal as per your own definition??

Max flow is certified for use by the EPA. I would not use it if it wasn't.

BTW nice Dog.

Ahhh yes but installing it is not... and did you have to adjust the carb when you tampered with your EPA certified saw??

I will also add that the stock filter is in fact entirely adequate to supply the necessary air requirements of a stock saw, so why the max flow filter. Doesn’t make much sense to put more air in if you can't get it out.... seems kinda silly for you to risk a run in with the EPA saw police and no real gain to be had.

I don't think folks are taking issue with your preference for modd.... ooops I mean stock saws it's the piety and hypocrisy with which you present your position that has earned such a strong response. :cheers:

I just take issue with his lack of intelligence, but I have rectified this by extending my patience to him because of this apparent handicap. At first I just thought he was stupid, but now I know, its beyond that with him, it quite possibly qualifies him for a special license plate or permit to hand on his rear view mirror.

The fact that he says he has Maxi-flow filters on saws that don't exist at his house, is of little consequence. Mental is mental, the thing to do now is get him to a pychologist and then onto medication or off of medication, which ever is the case.

Just here to help,

Sam

Unsafe practices are no substitute for using the properly sized equipment.

And you don't know me well enough to make statements pertaining to my expertise.

I am not making this personal. I know that the majority of folks here want a really super fast saw. I would suggest just trying to learn how to sharpen a decent chain.

You could always make a hotsaw and do the weekend races. Those do not apply to EPA regulations. But keep the work saws stock, safe and legal.

-Craig

I just can't pass up a good pissin match. What's wrong with me?:laugh:

Hey Craig, Is this sharp enough for ya?
Chain008cropped.jpg

It wasn't fast enough for me on a stock 372, so it's gracing a modified Solo 681 right now.
How do you feel about modified chain? :laugh:

Andy

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Not a problem, the Doctor will be in to see you shortly.

In the meantime, do you can to share with us any exact EPA quotes from the correct pages where it shows us that a common person can't modd his two stroke chainsaw any which way he wants to?

Not that stupid crap about a motor vehicle, but something that might actually make sense to an intelliegent person. Since you are the big "Researcher" that doesn't want to jepardize his job, you might just help us out by giving us some cuts and pastes of the laws that actually apply to a privately modded chainsaw. So far you haven't found any or provided any.

We'll wait,

Sam

Not counting my vintage saw collection, in the past year I have ran the following saws in a professional setting (residential and municipal tree removal):

Stock (all company saws, except the two little Huskys that belong to my buddy):
334T x 2
MS200T x 2
MS290 x about 5
MS310 x 2
056 Mag 2

Modified (mine):
MS200T
MS361 x 2

Even though I used more stock saws and I don't have any real problems with them, I ran the modified saws for probably about 2/3 of my total hours last year. I occasionally get a small tip in my paycheck for bringing my own saws to work, but I do it more so because I prefer running them. I think it makes my job easier, safer, and more enjoyable.

I'm by no means a production faller, but there is a noticeable increase in efficiency. In my job, that's not always a good thing though, because I have more time left over to help drag brush. I particularly enjoy using a 361 in a situation where I would ordinarily have to lug around a heavier and more unwieldy 044 or 046. And I kind of like dragging the 056 out for the old school vibe, but once I have my own 044 sorted out in a few weeks I bet the 056 spends a lot more time on the display shelf where it belongs.

After my buddy got banged up last week, I let him use my 361 a couple times because he was such a good sport about coming back to work so early. He made sure to tell me what an absolute joy it was to run that saw. I expect that he will have me build him a similar one this year before Stihl discontinues them.

LOL dude you brought it on yourowntardself!!!

Parris, go easy on the poor little fella... He may come around to our way of thunkin' just yet! Maybe we can make him see the light? Perhaps he could start with a muffler mod?

LOL, you can't see any light when you head is so far up your AZZ!!!

LOL... He's just misguided. We can show him the peace and tranquility of the "Way of The Mod." Well actually, not so much peace and tranquility because the saw is louder...

Latest posts

Back