Poll: What model for the next AS build off??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What model would you prefer to see in the next AS build off?

• 044/MS440/046/MS460/Hybrid

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • MS441

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • MS261

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 026/MS260

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 066/MS660

Votes: 28 14.7%

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • 385/390

• 394/395

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.2%

• Total voters
While the Kids analogy sucks, (1500cc 4cyl. BMW F1 qualifying engine from the mid eighties anyone ?) I reckon the big modern fella's in some big wood.

3120 or 084/088/880.

funny I typed pretty much the same reply including the 1500hp BMW engines......jps :) but then on the other end of the spectrum was the BRM 1.5 V16................

if only cosworth built saw engines:chainsaw:

Actually, I think the 290/029 idea is pretty cool. It also puts the focus on timing and porting instead of who has the best machinist.

I would be up for the 2101xp, ms460, 3400, 330, welp any saw in my sig. I can't afford to go out and buy a saw for a build off.

Randy I would think the 044/440/046/460 will probably be the best choice. The 2101 is not that easy to get ahold of for most of us. I don't really care which one it is. I'll probably have to go buy one to join in like last time.

Poulan Pro 4620...dirt cheap...readily available...would put a serious "WTF?!" look on the faces of the folks who automatically consider all newer Poulans to be garbage.

Last, but certainly not least...I already own one :msp_sneaky:.

Zombiechopper had mentioned the clamshell design because he thought it would prevent popups from being used. I've raised the crank in a wildthing to make a popup and am sure I could do the same to a 029/ms290.

Like has been said a 2100/2101 would be a hard one to come up with for a lot of folks. I really do lean toward the ms460 as a build off saw. For one thing the offset combustion chamber makes it more difficult to do a popup, not impossible by any means but more thought has to be put into it.

as nmurph has said you have to keep the build on the same chassis of saw or your not comparing apples to apples. were testing building skills against each other using the same platform. it is hard to do that if your all building different saws. if your racing a certain cube class then its run what you brung. if your doing a build off you have to have rules and everyone uses the same case,carb ,cylinder etc. to keep it a level field. but what do i know

Yeah You're right!!! TL surley you dont think anybody would cheat out there do ya???? LOLOL!!!!

I say MS440 or460 OEM , 7900 Dolmar OEM or 066/660 OEM

So have we all agreed on the 660 build then?

No,,,, what about 460 or 7900!!!!

Last edited:
I feel the same way, 3400-4000 series Poulans, ms361, but most preferably, the 7900. If we do 7900's, will big bore kits be allowed?

Seeing as it has been noted on occasions that the 84CC BB hasn't the potential to produce any more power than the 79cc's, why not? It would give those with a 64cc saw a chance, cheap.

Zombiechopper had mentioned the clamshell design because he thought it would prevent popups from being used. I've raised the crank in a wildthing to make a popup and am sure I could do the same to a 029/ms290.

Like has been said a 2100/2101 would be a hard one to come up with for a lot of folks. I really do lean toward the ms460 as a build off saw. For one thing the offset combustion chamber makes it more difficult to do a popup, not impossible by any means but more thought has to be put into it.

Yeah a little imagination would get you some compression from the clambshells.
I wouldn't have thought it to be any more difficult, only a touch more effort to popup an offset in a 4 jaw chuck............or a rotating table on your drill press!

I see the 460 as being more viable against the 066/660 being cheaper and more consistent across the barrels?

You can modify alot, and gain alot, but you can't substitute cubic inches. That's why there are big, and small blocks. Big, and small saw's. The so called 460's, and 372's, that can cut with a 660. I don't see any video's with a 36, 48, or 60 inch bar on them. I cut 5-6 foot Eucalyptus last year with my 660, with just a dual port muffler. Ported or not, my 044, and 372 would have still been parked, and me using the 660. I dulled it once pulled out the 44. It did fine, but I was down to 3 foot stuff. I had to rip, and quarter 4 cord's worth. I used the 660 for all that. Cut it both wya's with about the same chain speed. Too bad some of thes threads, turn into a who's got the fastest saw, or a pee contest at times. I cut wood, love saw's we don't have to all agree, but we should still stick together. To truely test a saw, put the max bar size on it, and rip hardwood with it, or put it in wood where the bar dissapear's. Chin up 056 kid! It came out a little different what you said, but I respect you for saying it!:rock: You are still a woodcutting Brother. And we should all remember that!:rock:

Latest posts

Back