Poor advice becoming more common on AS...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the first 3 pages of the Chainsaw Forum.........how many do you feel like responding to? Same thing over and over again, gets very mundane, let alone the completely useless posts. The influx of new members is good, but perhaps its time to reply to every new post with "use the search function" again................that thing working yet?
IMHO if you don't feel like responding to something you feel is mundane and can easily be found by searching, simply don't reply at all. It's the "use the search function" replies that cause the most friction.

I've been involved with several forums as user, moderator, and admin. The single biggest issue is existing members getting all twisted up by repetitive newbie questions. It's the nature of the internet: lot's of useful and valuable information but not always easy to find. Many times, newbies want instant gratification and immediate answers. There are 2 choices for existing members: 1) reply even if it's the millionth time you've done so, or 2) ignore the post/thread and move on.

This is especially true of people who don't really know anything about the subject an are venturing in for the first time. Many times it's easier to ask yet another question and wait for a reply than it is to sift through hundreds of threads containing thousands of posts. How is one supposed to disseminate information on a subject they know nothing or little about?

The UTSF replies are jut as bothersome and mundane as the original posts are.

Again, this is just my opinion and the way I look at forum participation. Your mileage may vary.

MCW hit the nail on the head, some of the advice lately makes me cringe. I sell and work on saws every day and the family runs a firewood operation, but there is still alot I don't know after 35 years of using saws. I don't comment if I can't base it on personal expierence. I personally don't think there are many folks who cut more than 20 cords a year on the site, most are just avid enthusiast and there's nothing wrong with that.........what I hate are the folks who base opinions on saws that obviously never run the model they are commenting on, too many arm chair technical spec experts and the problem is that many take their BS as the gospel. That is one of the biggest issues on the site.
After awhile a saw is just another saw if you see them day in day out, some are better than others. Most people here seem to have the Tim Taylor complex bigger is better, I've cut and sold a helluv lot of firewood and you dang sure don't need a 90cc saw or ported 70cc to get it done as you read on here. I've prolly cut more with a puny 028 than most have ever seen, I just don't know how we ever did it with such puny saws. I'm getting older and have serious health issues, I've found I can cut more than most people will burn in two or three days with a 50cc saw with a SHARP chain. As soon as the 241 comes out here that's what I'll prolly go to, don't take me wrong I love ported saws I own them and will get more ported but it's not the answer for everyone, a stock saw is more than most will every need if they maintain it and run a sharp chain. If your not sure, don't give poor advice or if you haven't run a particular saw refrain from bashing it, as someone will think it is the correct and only answer.

I'm just stunned at the lack of meaningful content here these days......

But honestly, after you've been on chainsaw forums for a while, it seems like pretty much everything is a repeat. 028 won't start cold, 562 stumbling, best 50cc saw, best oil... I've only been here 18 months and don't expect to see much new in chainsaw questions. The same also goes for my other 2 sites. FF today is tuning, tach or ear, XT vs XP etc etc, and Randy killed SH. On all sites I hang out with my friends on some thread we all hang out on, then check new posts to see if anything looks good. One big problem is except for the 661, there is nothing new. We've rehashed the 550/261, 562/361, 441,461 etc. The 661 thread had pretty much everybody's attention until the divorce and custody battle.
I suspect as more folks have the 661, and the 572 and 590 are out we'll have more to talk about, wherever that talk is happening

There's a canon supermini mount/bar. They do come in a 24" mount. He could easily put an LP tip on that...assuming you can get LP for the superminis.

If those Cannon SupermMni bars use the old Windsor/Sandvik Mini-Pro tips (and they look the same to me in pics........haven't seen the Cannon SM bars in person yet) then 3/8-LP tips are/were indeed available for them. I have a Windsor/Sandvik Mini-Pro bar (A041 type mount) with a 3/8-LP tip (takes 57DL of LP). Seen .325 and 3/8-LP tips for them on feebay and elsewhere.

Actually .325" on a 9 pin rim DOES actually cut really well on big saws up to a 24" bar :D I've done it on my 3120 a few times and was very surprised.

Really? I would have thought the power of the saw would stretch and break the chain. What type of bar oil did you use? I never cut anything larger than privet hedge and the occasional Christmas tree.

i agree about the increase in false info stuff although many have different opinions and different way's of doing things. then you got those guys that are just plain mad men. i will say that the thing about today's youth is rather offending to some including myself and i will continue to back up some youth. i can't tell you how many 40 yr olds i see who are complete dumbasses but think they know what they are doing giving bogus advice wherever they can. it's not all about age IMO. it's all about interest and how a particular person will catch on the things. i see this all to much. some people are just born dumbasses and some are born masterminds. i know alot of young guys this way and a few on this site that will make most older guys hold their head in shame. i'm not looking to start a fight here. i just have memories of older guys doubting me in the past meanwhile i knew they were idiots and had no idea what they were doing. most older guys will never admit when a younger guy knows more then them and will talk **** like "if i only knew what i knew when i was 16". my stepdad is exactly like this and i can't tell you how many times i have fixed his **** ups and showed him how to do things properly. it is just something that is burnt into my head for life now and i will always support the youth that are good and try. i'm in no way pointing fingers at anyone here and i'm not saying all old guys are dumbasses. just saying it goes both ways.

Hey Shane who you callin' a 40 year old dumbass??????:D

So if you say to me that the standard 20" 3/8" bar is 72DL, and I say it's 75DL, is that a contradiction or an argument? :)

What if I said the 'standard' 20" 3/8 pitch bar on old Homelites, Macs, Poulans, and Echos is 70DL? Contradiction or arguement?:D

Can anyone here please tell me how to multiquote with this new blasted format? Don't have the little 'check' thing in the lower right corner to click for multiquoting anymore.....

Hey Shane who you callin' a 40 year old dumbass??????:D
What if I said the 'standard' 20" 3/8 pitch bar on old Homelites, Macs, Poulans, and Echos is 70DL? Contradiction or arguement?:D

Can anyone here please tell me how to multiquote with this new blasted format? Don't have the little 'check' thing in the lower right corner to click for multiquoting anymore.....
Just hit the reply button on all the posts you want in the quote

I already ate mine...can I have some of yours?
I would offer you a beer in trade but somebody removed the "cheers beer mug" from the smilies list...unless there's more of them on this new format that I'm stihl trying to figure out.

I will toss a piece in the mail, let me know what kind of shape it arrives in. How should I pack it for shipping??

I check out the first page of threads now and generally can't find anything worth reading. Then I think I can help, answer a few questions with the correct answers, and bingo, end up in an argument with someone who's been here a week. That was only one instance. The site has changed big time since the hack Randy, and it's not for the better.
I think it extends back much further than the hack, to an atmosphere of petty bickering and nastiness fostered by a few members who rarely if ever contributed anything meaningful and were intentionally disruptive of those who did. That kind of stuff kills an organization and drives people away. People are too busy getting even, scoring points and watching their ass to contribute any meaningful content even if they might have had the inclination.

Check out the first 3 pages of the Chainsaw Forum.........how many do you feel like responding to? Same thing over and over again, gets very mundane, let alone the completely useless posts. The influx of new members is good, but perhaps its time to reply to every new post with "use the search function" again................that thing working yet?

I would have to disagree.

You gotta start somewhere eh?

AS for the useless posts, some o' them can become a real HOOT!

What is it they say?

"The best teachers are ALSO lifelong students"

I think it extends back much further than the hack, to an atmosphere of petty bickering and nastiness fostered by a few members who rarely if ever contributed anything meaningful and were intentionally disruptive of those who did. That kind of stuff kills an organization and drives people away. People are too busy getting even, scoring points and watching their ass to contribute any meaningful content even if they might have had the inclination.

Sometimes the bickering was deserved.

If everything was too technical and straight forward, what a dismal place fo' sure.

and fer 'Materminds comment,

FACEBOOK IS FER GIRLS!

Back