Poor Mans 346???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well,

Like everyone else I have admired the Husky 346 for some time now.
I have tried to run as many as I could get my hands on to see if I really wanted to go over to the "Dark Side" or not.
The Husky doesn't feel as good in my hands as my 5100, but it is definately a runner after being tweaked a bit.
I don't think I would ever be happy with a 346 to work with, but for a toy they are a lot of fun. The price tag has kept me from owning one as I just couldn't justify that kind of investment in a tool to modify and use strictly as a toy.

Recently, I bought a truckfull of parts saws and parts from a friend who does small engine repair as a hobby. Among them was a 350 EPA Husky with a scored piston.
I pulled it down and cleaned up the jug and found out that it was the bigger 45mm bore, with the dished EPA piston, and some wheels started to turn very slowly in my head.

No, it wouldn't be a 346 but it might make a fun saw to play with for very little cash outlay. After researching everything I could find, it seemed like it would work, so I ordered a flat top piston from a 353 and after a pretty radical port and transfer job (radical for me at least) I put it all together Monday night.
The squish was still over .035 even after removing the base gasket but I put it together anyway to see if it was going to be worth going any farther.

I was VERY pleased to say the least with the result.
It was running very lean with the adjusters all the way against the stops, so I trimmed them and did a "poor mans" muffler mod set the carb and went to see what it would do in a cut tonight after work.

What do youall think???

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Xur-swWSQ8"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Xur-swWSQ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Mike

Good job.
I have an old Husky 44 that is my 346xp for now. Runs great!
You are right about the 5100 feel.

I just checked the compression and it is 140 with maybe 1/4 tank of fuel through it.
I think if that squish was about .018 tighter it would probably run pretty good!
What do you think about it Nik???:D LOL

Mike

Looks good! I think a warmed up 350/2150 is one of the most overlooked saws.

Now I'm just gonna sit here and wait for the ppe police to make their appearance.:popcorn:

Looks to me like you got a sleeper "orange junk" to go with your "green junks":clap:

Poor mans saw? I see it cost you the shirt off your back so far. If your gonna loose any more clothing in building of this saw, pics & videos will NOT BE REQUIRED!!! We will take your word that it happened!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Great Job!!!
:cheers:
Gregg,

Did some more tweaking on this thing this afternoon.
It seems to be running even better than last night.
It won't hold its RPMs in the cut like a 346..........................yet!
Seems like it's gonna be a little screamer.

Mike

Mike I told you that you would like that one. Looks like you did good on it.

I don't care much for the bare chested suspenders and bib overalls much anymore as it makes my nipples sore.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:.

Latest posts

Back