Poor quality chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that my 362XP and 346XP are taking an extra pull to start anymore. I think it's because I'm getting older and weaker...
I cut a little bit today with my Husky 44 and the choke lever came out of the carb lever, it does seem these saws are kinda junky. I know it's not new however..

I don't have a problem buying saws anywhere. Just don't trust them to set it up. And learn about proper saw maintenance. If properly maintained and used correctly and for it's intended purpose, pretty much any saw can last a long time. Its not preferable to buy from a big box store but sometimes it's the best option. If not taken care of, any saw can quickly be an expensive paper weight.

Ive had this conversation with other people non-saw people mostly, but when your buying a homeowner type saw, there all basically the same. Same materials,same construction, same basic quality. I have a 460 rancher nice saw 24" bar, but it's a clamshell not much different than a poulan pro, which I have also. Sound like they may have a hot start issue. As far as carburetion you can thank your government regs. for that I have to agree not overjoyed with the double butterfly carb design.

It helps to add oil to the fuel...

And remarkably these models are sold more than any of the pro models, so there must be something going on with the user that his saws constantly die on him and I highly doubt any pro saw will solve the problem...

And goverment is NOT at fault here! The industry is simply too lazy to change to quality parts that can easily handle the fuel situation!

The government is ALWAYS at fault in one form or another. Emission standards brought some of this new technology to saw industry like strato saws hence the need for the dual butterfly carburetors which in my 460 rancher works fine for the moment but I have had some that was impossible to maintain a tune. Seemed like evert time I used it I had to keep a screw driver in my pocket as it inevitably wouldn't run right. It was like that since new, had a couple others act the same way. Not saying that's wat the OP was experiencing ,but I have. And yes I know how a strato saw works and in theory it shouldn't matter but it did. However all that being said I still didn't bad mouth the equipment just figured they were that finicky and went on.

Wasn't trying to step on anyone's toe, just stating what I experienced with some of the new carb designs. Instead or assuming every new poster on here is a jack#$s I looked at it objectively thought I mite have something to bring to the table. But if anyone's offended by my comments so be it.

Husky does one thing that seems to sneak up and bite people on the ass, and that's the single nut and bolt design. Throw in the smooth paint under the nut, a bit of vibration, heat cycling, in if you aren't paying attention, your chain will loosen, and bad things will happen.

Was getting mower parts down at the angry beaver mower shop, and ran into this old man with a Husq 445 in a box who was ranting and raving. Seems his chain got loose, and in the process, it bent up the chain so it wouldn't fit in the groove.

The gist of the rant was that his Stihl never did that, and his chainsaw had less than 5 hours on it, and was now messed up.

Well, not so much. His chain was tore up, and that was about it. And of course, he was old, so telling him he needed to tighten the nut half a dozen times in an hour would have just made him nuts.

Kinda funny, until you forget, your bar starts to weeble wobble. Whoops!

At that point I got annoyed enough to break out the dremel and enhance the traction under the nut. Of course, a piece of sandpaper and about 2 minutes would do the same job, or a thin lock washer, all sorts of things.

Other than that, and needing to run thinner bar and chain oil for good lubrication, no serious flaws. Oh, and the standard air filter that comes with em, you can't clean that out worth a damn. Dial the air compressor up to 150, hot water/soap, nah, just kinda ******. The air filter that comes in the box of replacement parts (oil, spark plug, fuel filter, oil filter) works much much better. Had no problem with the thing getting hot and flooding out after changing that one.

I generally don't buy new chainsaws and generally know what the saws are like before I buy them. If they contain one of those two barrel carburetors or the like I usually just put them back and keep looking. I'm old enough now that I can use the old saws and not have to worry about running out of them. I don't care much for government regulated stuff or anything complicated more than it has to be..

Latest posts

Back