Poorly Husky - HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - I have just tried what you advised and still no luck. I drained the fuel, pulled the starter about 20 times to clear it, removed the muffler but could not see any damage to the piston, mixed some fresh fuel, put a dribble in the cylinder and warmed the plug gave it a pull but no luck, re-set the high low setting on the carb and tried putting fuel into the carb too. It is definatley pushing the fuel through because the vapours are settling on the muffler and it looks damp. The only thing i have not tried is a compression tester because i dont own one unfortunatley. Have you got any more ideas?:dizzy:

Hi - I have just tried what you advised and still no luck. I drained the fuel, pulled the starter about 20 times to clear it, removed the muffler but could not see any damage to the piston, mixed some fresh fuel, put a dribble in the cylinder and warmed the plug gave it a pull but no luck, re-set the high low setting on the carb and tried putting fuel into the carb too. It is definatley pushing the fuel through because the vapours are settling on the muffler and it looks damp. The only thing i have not tried is a compression tester because i dont own one unfortunatley. Have you got any more ideas?:dizzy:

borrow a tester and post the compression could be the prob or at least we can eliminate it.

The plug is definatley sparking because i have taken it out and earthed it on the cylinder but that is only at atmospheric pressure of course! I am not sure i even know anybody with a compression tester though.

Does your plug wire have any worn spots in it? I have seen on a few of that series saws the wire rubs on the cylinder when the top cover is on. This will cause the spark to jump to the cylinder instead of the plug when it"s all together.

Dry it out again, and a new plug this time.

Trust me, you don't want to spend hours and have it be just a plug.

Okay, status update. I have just got my new spark plug and tried it in my saw and it has made no difference. I am beggining to agree with the carb rebuild suggestion from earlier if nobody else has any more ideas. I have never done a carb re-build before so what does it involve and is it somthing i can do myself?

Okay, status update. I have just got my new spark plug and tried it in my saw and it has made no difference. I am beggining to agree with the carb rebuild suggestion from earlier if nobody else has any more ideas. I have never done a carb re-build before so what does it involve and is it somthing i can do myself?

First place to start is here: -http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/HDAseries.pdf

The service document - give it a good read - IMO I would check the top of the carb - pumping section and clean any cr*p out of this section - check the gaskets are fitted in the correct order and replace - if you want to fit a new gasket kit then you can pull these in from ebay - got one from the states once for £5.

Pull off the diaphragm cover and carefully remove the diaphragm - if this is holed then fuel would have run out of the bottom of the carb - check the gaskets are fitted in the correct order, it is common for the spacer to be fitted incorrectly next to the diaphragm cover - it should be fitted next to the body.
Check the needle valve is working correctly by blowing in to the fuel pipe and push the needle up to release the seal and then let go to seal again.

I would advise removing the H and L screws and spray in carb cleaner in to each hole whilst checking the spray comes out of the respective H & L nozzles in the bottom of the carb bore.

After you have done all this, reset the H&L screws to one turn out from fully in and refit and test.

My money is on incorrectly fitted gaskets from a previous rebuild, blocked L fuel circuit or the cold start throttle opener.

It is worth making sure the fuel pipes are ok, the filter in the tank is ok and the tank breather is working.

Spud

No, no, no , no no................

Which is why I stress a totally ungassed, dried out saw with a new plug......

To keep you from chasing wild gooses.

If the saw is totally dried out, and you put in a new plug, then squirt some
"good" fuel down the intake, just a little.

If it starts and runs for a few seconds, or at all, after a few pulls, then look at the fuel system.

If not>>>>>>>...............

Then your problems lie elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, guys, Wild Geese...........

You took the words out of my mouth. I have tried putting fresh fuel down into the cylinder through the plug whole and it will not even fire. I am no expert but i am now thinking there may be another underlying problem. Also, i have never done a carb re-build in my life so i am not really sure where to start. :confused:

I was on the swim team in High School!!!!!

Seriously, remove the fluids again, pull it over a bunch with the plug out,,
Then install the new plug and pull over some more with the throttle
held wide open.
Then, if nothing, give a light squirt of carb cleaner in the carb throat, and repeat the pulling thing.
If nothing still, then you have an ignition or compression problem.

Latest posts

Back