Poorly Husky - HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, no, no , no no................

Which is why I stress a totally ungassed, dried out saw with a new plug......

To keep you from chasing wild gooses.

If the saw is totally dried out, and you put in a new plug, then squirt some
"good" fuel down the intake, just a little.

If it starts and runs for a few seconds, or at all, after a few pulls, then look at the fuel system.

If not>>>>>>>...............

Then your problems lie elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, guys, Wild Geese...........

Did you say no:)

I have been having a long PM with Matt and suggested the "fuel down the plug hole" a few days ago - appologies that this wasnt mentioned earlier and would usually do this before a carb rebuild as you quite rightly say.

Spud

I just have a quick procedure that isolates at least the primary problem
area.

I hate wasting a lot of time/energy=money going on goose chases.

Guess it is probably -

Check spark
Look for 140psi+ compression
Pull over the engine with choke 5 times and look for a wet plug
fuel down plug hole

Pretty much my standard "start ya bugger" procedure:)

Currently working through 10 non runners:dizzy:

Spud

Problem sorted!

Big big thanks to Spudulike who had a look at the saw for me and identified the problem. The cylinder looked like the saw had been run on neat petrol and not 2 stroke therefore partially seizing the piston and scoring the clinder piston and piston ring. It started with 100psi of compression and i came home with 130psi!

Thanks to everybody who offered me advice but an especially big thank you has to go to Spudulike because without him i would be no further foward. It is people like him that make this site a truly fantastic resource.

Big thanks again,

Matt

Got there in the end, it was easier to take a look than keep writing notes as Matt is 15 miles up the road.

Compression was down, eliminated the decompressor and that left the piston, removing the muffler showed the piston looking ok but the aluminium smearing was just to the side of the exhaust port. Removed the jug, the piston had very light damage on it and the ring was smeared in to the groove.

Managed to free the ring, clean the piston groove and clean the cylinder with acid. Got enough compression for it to run well - will probably go up with use.

Another day another runner:clap:

Spud

Got there in the end, it was easier to take a look than keep writing notes as Matt is 15 miles up the road.

Compression was down, eliminated the decompressor and that left the piston, removing the muffler showed the piston looking ok but the aluminium smearing was just to the side of the exhaust port. Removed the jug, the piston had very light damage on it and the ring was smeared in to the groove.

Managed to free the ring, clean the piston groove and clean the cylinder with acid. Got enough compression for it to run well - will probably go up with use.

Another day another runner:clap:

Spud

Thank you!!!!!:cheers:

all the non running huskys ive gotten had "compression" They have that false sense of the ability to run. Pour 4-5 drops of a heavy gear oil down the plug hole. jerk yer rope in normal starting procedure and if she pops you know what your missing here.:givebeer:

Husky 44 parts despeartely needed

I picked up a Husky 44 with black air cleaner cover (well it used to) off fleabay & I seriously need a replacement black cover w/ screw, plus a new or good used fuel line & a new ignition switch for it . Hopefully, someone can help me , please email me at [email protected] . I couldn't believe the saws condition when it came in the mail . It also had all the AV mounts broken from an apparantly very careless PO who needs to stay away from power equipment .God bless, Ken :newbie:

I picked up a Husky 44 with black air cleaner cover (well it used to) off fleabay & I seriously need a replacement black cover w/ screw, plus a new or good used fuel line & a new ignition switch for it . Hopefully, someone can help me , please email me at [email protected] . I couldn't believe the saws condition when it came in the mail . It also had all the AV mounts broken from an apparantly very careless PO who needs to stay away from power equipment .God bless, Ken :newbie:

Think you better start a new thread with this one as it won't get the viewings linked to this thread

Cheers

Spud

Oh dear

My joy was short lived. I was sawing last night and it was running perfectly but went to start it this afternoon and no joy. Looks like i will have to buy a new piston after all :bang: I am waiting for my new compression tester to come through the post so i will check the compression as soon as i get it but i strongly suspect it will have dropped to the same level as it was before.
Any ideas of where i can get a cheap piston kit from?

My joy was short lived. I was sawing last night and it was running perfectly but went to start it this afternoon and no joy. Looks like i will have to buy a new piston after all :bang: I am waiting for my new compression tester to come through the post so i will check the compression as soon as i get it but i strongly suspect it will have dropped to the same level as it was before.
Any ideas of where i can get a cheap piston kit from?

Measure the compression before you do anything, if it is low, pull the cylinder off again, check the cylinder is still in good condition and not damaged before buying a new piston - cheapest I can get hold of is here: -http://stores.shop.ebay.de/eins-a-teile__W0QQ_armrsZ1
The ring may have got stuck in the piston again or it may have seized again and is worth checking - the piston small end opening will probably need making bigger to receive the new end.

Sorry it didn't last longer - re-using the piston was a gamble but at least we proved the rest of the saw is ok.

Spud

Back