Pop ups and windows. Your thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used 4043 which is a common aluminum rod and it worked well, I've also used 4047 which has a higher silicon content that I believe would withstand higher combustion temps. It would be neat to see them after some good run time was done to see if one performed better than the other.

If I remember right, Brian looked at modern piston casting %'s, and said the 4047 more closely matched the silicon content of the piston.

Like ya say though, don't think it makes a huge difference using either one.

[video=youtube;dFlXTRLohq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlXTRLohq4&feature=g-upl&context=G26ecfc1AUAAAAMgAWAA[/video]

LOL!:msp_ohmy: Thats Great!!!!!
Whats going on w/ the carb situation there!!?
What all do you have into it?
Is that another "Shoot out Saw"?
AWSOME!!!!

Another issue with high compression is skinned knuckles. I had one factory jug MS460 at 205 psi and one Big Bore at 200 psi, both were hard to start and kicked back resulting in bleeding knuckles. Seems I have to learn the hard way first.

Decomp.?

LOL!:msp_ohmy: Thats Great!!!!!
Whats going on w/ the carb situation there!!?
What all do you have into it?
Is that another "Shoot out Saw"?
AWSOME!!!!

It has a carb from a XL-12 on it and external transfer ports. It needs a pipe. :msp_thumbup:

It has a carb from a XL-12 on it and external transfer ports. It needs a pipe. :msp_thumbup:

How did you figure you needed a XL-12 carb.? Bolt on?
External Transfer's? How in the Poulan did you do that? Drill/Tap/weld?
I suppose if you really want to make power you need to move some air! External Trans. will do that!!!!
I still tring to figure out how much of a pipe per cc,cfm, rpm,ect. is needed w/o a flow bench?

That works good warm/hot start, but does not always work on a cold start. Plus trying to get a compression reading on a 200 psi saw is interesting.

I bet!!!!!
I would imagine the bigger the bore the worst it is! (More rotating mass)
Thats has to be hard on the starter dogs, ect. also!!!!!!
I use the Decomp. on my 150psi. 385. (bum shoulder,wrist, well everything) Electric start?!!!!!!!!

That works good warm/hot start, but does not always work on a cold start. Plus trying to get a compression reading on a 200 psi saw is interesting.

Ya think??? Like my 372... It works better with two people. One to hold the guage... One to try and break the recoil... :rock:

2011-11-17_05-01-51_423.jpg

2011-11-17_05-03-41_992.jpg

2011-12-29_07-23-07_257.jpg

2011-12-29_07-23-20_788.jpg

2011-12-30_14-18-58_129.jpg

Happy new year !!!!

Pretty sweet Eric!

Do you put a foam filter over that bell mouth when you run, or leave it open?

dont eat chilly before the race

:laugh: Yeah, that'd fix it!

My 50 has the bell sticking out like that and it does suck a little dust in but I'm not to concerned for what it is being used for.

Hmmm, I'd think more than dust might get sucked in there. . . But I ain't ever ran a fancy racesaw, so I wouldn't know.

What about pulling some ladies pantyhose over it for sex appeal? :wink2:

Back