Poplar- Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's weird. Poplar is classified as a hardwood yet it's known to be soft. What a contradiction.

Yah, that's the way it is. The actual hardness or density of the wood has little to do with the classification of species. Hardwoods have a more complex structure than softwoods. The main difference separating them is the presence of pores in hardwoods. Poplar and willow are classified as hardwoods, but they are pretty light weight and rather soft. Yew is classified as a softwood, but it is rather hard. Go figure.

As for heat value in cordwood, hardness is not the quality that you want for heat. What you want is density. While poplar/cottonwood can get hard when dry, it still is not very dense. Hence they are used a lot in pallets, but that is mainly because it is pretty useless for anything else (other than paper). Oak is a fork of a lot better for heating with. Oak is used in a lot of pallets here as well, and I always pick them up if I come across them. They are heavy muthers though.

On top of all of this are wood pellets (not to be confused with pallets). While dense hardwoods are what you want in wood for wood stoves, conifer/softwood is what you want for pellet stoves. There are several reasons, but softwoods do not coal up and they are very low in ash. Since you are buying pellets by weight and not by volume like cordwood, softwood pellets are better. They generally sell for a premium for that reason. We have mountains of premium conifer/softwood pellets here in the PNW, and not much demand for them. They are a byproduct of the lumber industry. They sell here for 2/3 of what they go for back east (less than $200 a ton).

I used to ignore Poplar but I've changed my mind. If it's easy to get out of the forest and into the truck, I'm on it. I've found that if it's dried well, it makes great shoulder-season wood and fine kindling. This results in my being able to be more efficient in my cutting and burning of my hardwoods.

the smogger eating some poplar..

The zogger and smogger all nice and cozy in front of the fire. Sounds heavenly.

Yes I plumbed my wood boiler into my clothes dryer using a heat coil like the one on my furnace. Disabled the heat unit in dryer and made it pull air through boiler heat exchanger. Heats great and all I burn is electricity on is fan motor and tumbler in dryer. Saves a ton on power bill. Theres a commercial version sold for 1000.00 but I made mine for under 100.

Weaverville

Even poplar dries my cloths nicely... ;)

SR

Nice dryers. I have a really stupid question. You guys use those things in the summer? Or is it off to the old school clothes line? Just wondering if you would fire up the furnace when it's miserably hot outside.

Yah, that's the way it is. The actual hardness or density of the wood has little to do with the classification of species. Hardwoods have a more complex structure than softwoods. The main difference separating them is the presence of pores in hardwoods. Poplar and willow are classified as hardwoods, but they are pretty light weight and rather soft. Yew is classified as a softwood, but it is rather hard. Go figure.

As for heat value in cordwood, hardness is not the quality that you want for heat. What you want is density. While poplar/cottonwood can get hard when dry, it still is not very dense. Hence they are used a lot in pallets, but that is mainly because it is pretty useless for anything else (other than paper). Oak is a fork of a lot better for heating with. Oak is used in a lot of pallets here as well, and I always pick them up if I come across them. They are heavy muthers though.

On top of all of this are wood pellets (not to be confused with pallets). While dense hardwoods are what you want in wood for wood stoves, conifer/softwood is what you want for pellet stoves. There are several reasons, but softwoods do not coal up and they are very low in ash. Since you are buying pellets by weight and not by volume like cordwood, softwood pellets are better. They generally sell for a premium for that reason. We have mountains of premium conifer/softwood pellets here in the PNW, and not much demand for them. They are a byproduct of the lumber industry. They sell here for 2/3 of what they go for back east (less than $200 a ton).

Thanks for that quick lesson. I'll just have to remember dense wood good. Not so dense wood not so good.

Wish you didn't go there with the pellets. I'm already confused as it is with real purpose/need for firebrick, what chainsaw/PPE/firewood cutting paraphernalia I really need vs want because of finding this site and ya'lls crazy obsession with chainsaws. :)

The zogger and smogger all nice and cozy in front of the fire. Sounds heavenly.

Nice dryers. I have a really stupid question. You guys use those things in the summer? Or is it off to the old school clothes line? Just wondering if you would fire up the furnace when it's miserably hot outside.
Not sure what others do but we use clothes line in summer. To hot to keep burning wood. But if I did burn in summer it would def be poplar! Ha. Not a stupid question at all.

I'm an equal opportunity wood burner - I decided to light the little stove this morning because it is supposed to go to 46. It's loaded with tulip, oak, hickory and walnut. The tulip caught first and took right off.

Not sure what others do but we use clothes line in summer. To hot to keep burning wood. But if I did burn in summer it would def be poplar! Ha. Not a stupid question at all.

So, for the purpose of drying clothes, you probably prefer a fast burning wood right? Seems like it would be perfect for drying clothes. Heats up real quick to get the clothes dry in one cycle, minimal ash, etc.

Heck, my better half would prefer to use the cloths line in the winter, if it wasn't such a hassle to do so! (snow, working around the weather ect..)

SR

I bet some underwear line dried (or just frozen) during the winter would be comfy to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised how fast cloths dry in the winter, most times the humidity is low and that means fast drying...

SR

If you had picked the "right" wife, you wouldn't have to tell her!! lol lol

SR

Yep you're right. Too cold for her to do that. Maybe some kind of revolving clothes line is in order. Set it up right outside of the laundry room window so she can hang it up then run it down.

Just noticed we totally derailed this thread.

She may inform you about how capable you are of drying your own laundry on the line.....

Yes but then I in turn will inform her how she likes the feel of heat in the winter. Funny how cold weather clears the mind. Before this little cold spell she was saying I'm obsessed with chainsaws, scrounging firewood, wood burning, stove top thermometers, etc. Now she's nagging me about buying a thermometer, telling me I should buy a bigger chainsaw, wants to learn how to light a fire, etc. I think it's hilarious.

Heck, my better half would prefer to use the cloths line in the winter, if it wasn't such a hassle to do so! (snow, working around the weather ect..)

SR

Our dryer broke several years ago so just the clothesline and..I never got a new dryer.

Latest posts

Back